1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are the khypermedia 4x DVDs worth it ?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by khyperdan, Sep 11, 2004.

1. khyperdan

khyperdan Member

Office max has the 25pk @9.99 after instant rebate, the khypermedia website only lists a 4x dvd pk. Anyone have any experience with these ? I'm using a khypermedia 8x dvd+r drive and i love it so they "should" be compatible right ?
    Thanx in advance

2. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I bought the 25 pk. dvd+r for 9.99, at Office Max. When I went to burn with nero it gave me the choice of 2.4x or 4x. I don't have an 8x burner, so I guess if I did it would have given me that option.

I've bought khypermedia in the past and have been pleased with them. Most of what I have bought have been CMC-MAG, which most say aren't very good. However, I have gotten CMC-MAG discs when I purchased name brands like HP and Magnavox. I have bought some Khypermedia that were TDK brand, but those were -r's in the 10 pk. w/slim cases.

3. khyperdan

khyperdan Member

thnx for the input, come payday i'll pick some up and let ya know my results

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You're wasting your money.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

At least a 50% failure rate with that brand. If not more.

Jerry

6. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I haven't had many bad burns at all with Khypermedia. I have probably burned over 125 of these and have had probably 3 or 4 that didn't burn right. One actually wasn't even recognized by either of my dvd drives, which was strange.

In contrast to that, I bought a 25 pk of Verbatim Digital Movie DVD-r's and have had 2 bad burns out of the 25 pk. These are supposed to be top-shelf.

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

There are forum members that get lucky using poor quality blanks. I always say if it works for you thats great. But paying $.40 for something that might work or $.50 for Riteks that almost always work is a clear choice for me. I always buy Ritek. Good luck with the those Khypermedia. Check your burned discs in about 6 months and see if they still play.

Jerry

8. Nephilim

Jerry, I couldn't have said it better myself :)

One of the greatest pitfalls of low quality media is that when they burn alright people think it's great and that they're home free. Then they try to play the discs 6-12 months later and realize maybe the media wasn't as good as they thought when half the discs refuse to play correctly if at all. I've seen it happen quite often.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Forum rules! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  9. jay33

jay33 Regular member

My oldest backups on Khypermedia are about 13-14 months old. They still play just fine, so I can't believe they won't have a very long shelf life. You have any scientific proof of these claims?

10. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

I read someplace on the net (wish I could find it again) about poor quality media. I noticed a lot of people in here talk about the die spread and how if you buy cheap media the spreads can be bad. This much is very true. But when people say that months down the road the disk wont work....thats were I draw the line. By the time disks get to you...the die is already set and wont get ruined, unless you break the seal in the plastic in which the die is held. As long as you take care of your cheap media, you will be ok. BUT, you will have to handle them with extra care because the will damage easier the higher quality.

11. Nephilim

If one was so inclined they could browse through this forum and find more than a couple threads where folks had their CMC media crap out on them inside of a year. I remember them quite well.

Why do some folks have problems and others don't? It's called inconsistency, a hallmark of low quality media.

12. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

Nephilim~ Yeah I know what you mean. They are very inconsistant. And TRUST me, when i buy wedia again, I wont skinp on it, I will go with high quality. I am just trying to state that people are over amplifying the whole issue on the possibility of DVD's loosing the information. I agree the cheap media is crap. But I also believe that if you handle the media with extra care that it will last long then the people in here tend to think. If you get a good burn, and the burn is able to be read by your DVD player, it will last some time. Now a big problem with cheap media, where a lot of people may be getting confussed with lost data, is that cheap media is not compatible with many DVD players and such. It may work in one DVD player and not the other. One person may call it a coaster because its not compatible with the player, while the next person will have great success because it is compatible with there player. I ran into the problem myself. I started burning and thought I was getting coasters, would not play on my DVD player. BUt then i decided to try it on my playstation and it worked great. Played well on my parents Apex player, and played great on my nephews laptop. So apon testing i realized that the problem was not the DVD, but was the DVD player itsself. I will search for the site that I found the info about lost data (wich is call disk fading) and let you check it out. But truely, in my opinion, I will never buy cheap media again, because of the compatibility conflict, but also do believe it they work now for you, they will in the future also.

13. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

14. jay33

jay33 Regular member

That link says that disc rot really only applies to pressed discs, not burned media. So long as you don't bend the discs and handle them responsibly, chances are you won't have a problem down the road.

15. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Well.....I've always been a believer in these Khypermedia, but I may have spoken too soon. I bought a 25 pk tonight of the -r's and just got 3 bad burns in a row. This is a first for me having problems with these discs, but I may not buy any more. I've had coasters in the past of even good brands, but never 3 in a row. I like the Verbatim Digital Movie dvd-r, but I've even had some bad burns with those.

16. laoguy69

laoguy69 Member

i have bought a lot of khypermedia at Office max, 90% of the time it will burn good. But now i try to play some of my backup on khypermedia dvd-+r and some will work and some won't work at all not. I backup those dvd-+r just 2 month ago. By reading this thread i know that is because of bad media. I will not buy cheap media agian (u get what u pay for) hope this help!

17. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I don't have any problems with the Khypermedia not playing after a period of time. I have some Khypermedia that are over a year old and play just the same as the first day. That's not the problem, but repeated bad burns aren't acceptable. I think I've burned well over 100 Khypermedia discs in the past and only had a few bad burns. I've equaled that total with this latest spindle. No more for me.