1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any headsets that can record whispers spoken under ones breath?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by zer0nix, Jul 27, 2012.

1. zer0nix

zer0nix Member

ideally, i would like to use such a device to make recordings to be used with a speech recognition / transcribing program such as dragon, so the recordings ought to be clean and accurate.

unfortunately, ive not encountered a headphone/microphone that can do this, though i have not been trying hard (i picked up standard models without shopping around and unfortunately, these only pick up footsteps and my more sibilant esses), though im sure i can hear my own voice spoken under my own breath -and actually, ive even had the neighbors kid answer back (so maybe im going deaf from sitting next to all these casefans, lol).

ideally, i want it to be a headset that can be used with a smartphone and a laptop. is there any device out there that can do this?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

look for throat mikes.

3. Mez

Mez Active member

ddp, I suspect zerOnix wants to spy on persons. He is either a PI or is too cheap to hire one and wants to do it himself.

Firstly, I would bet your mic is garbage. Profession mics start at $150. You probably bought a consumer mic and BB or Radio Shack. They are made to pick up loud audio close up. You need a professional directional mic and use a professional recorder. The 2 items together should cost you over $300 other wise you haven't bought good enough equipment. I think you ought to budget at least $500. I would also read the top sticky. Check out the information on hearing level thresholds. Your problems would be expected if you knew what you were doing. These problems can be over come if you understood the problems.

I would worry more about actually getting usable audio than how to effortlessly convert it into text.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

my brother did a tafe course when i was a teenager and made a circuit board that fits in a matchbox that can listen in to people conversations and transmit it to a radio.one day i found it in a drawer in my room.some how he manged to get in my locked bedroom when i was out and get rid of it.

ive seen devices that claim to pic up a conversation up to 50metres away not sure if they work.