1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there different kinds of .avi files? Probs with Reality Media Player

Discussion in 'PS2' started by oasismark, Jan 29, 2004.

1. oasismark

oasismark Member

I'm trying to get Reality Media player to play some avi's, I have the player installed on my mem card as i have a the ripper 2 Gold.

Trouble is, when i burn an avi to a disc it says "not an avi file"

Are there different types of avi and what kind of file does reality media player play?

Cheers

2. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

well it's probably not encoded in mpeg-4 format

mpeg4(divx,xvid)
    mpeg3(mp3)
    mpeg2(mpeg,vob)
    mpeg1(mpg)

3. oasismark

oasismark Member

Right ok thanks,

So how do i encode it to mpeg-4

Is there a programme out there that will convert mpeg's, and avi's into the mpeg4 divx files that Reality Media Player will play ok?

4. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

theres this thing called GSpot Codec Information... with it you can see with what the file was encoded... if it's indeed encoded in divx then... i dont know whats the problem...

try this program called virtual dub it makes great files with divx and mp3 audio plus it's free

5. angelus08

angelus08 Member

There's a program on forum.doom9.org that's called Gordian Knot and it specializes in converting DVD's to either Xvid or DivX encoded avi files. You can open up the file in Gordian Knot via avisynth (sorry if you don't know what it is) and re-encode the avi's in there too. One thing you might check is that if you encoded in DivX, some players don't support the advanded features of DivX, such as Qpel and GMC