1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there line converters for guitar to mic?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by -Polaris-, Apr 22, 2004.

1. -Polaris-

-Polaris- Member

Not sure if that made any sense, so let me elaborate...

are there any converters (kinda like old mouse to USB) that would let me take a guitar to amplifier cord and plug it into a microfone line-in minijack? If so, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. cakefoo

cakefoo Member

yeah, just go find one at radioshack for like, 3 dollars.

3. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

If you plan on doing any guitar recording, you will need an in-line preamp to get any decent sound. Hopefully your amplifier has a preamp output.

4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

AFAIK some soundcards (e.g. m-audio audiophile IIRC) are capable of recording guitar through line-in or mic-in without additonal amplification decently. Before buying a preamp I'd try to use an "converter" 1st.

5. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

Absolutely, ideally you have a soundcard suited for recording, but I can only assume that this not the case since he's not sure he can even hook a guitar up to his computer. Even if he does use his amp as a preamp, he will still need the adapter, as the output will still be a low-z 1/4" output. I'm not saying you should immediately run out and drop dough on a bona-fide preamp, but I know from experience that it is difficult to get any sort of decent sound without one (on a typical soundcard.) I am able to get half-decent (demo-worthy) sound with what soundcard I have, using one of my smaller amps as a preamp, so there is hope yet!

6. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Fair enough.