1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there Movies(DVD's) out there which cant be backed up?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by RobertJ, Dec 4, 2003.

1. RobertJ

RobertJ Member

I have been having nearly 100% sucess rate using DVDshrink 3beta backing up DVD movies.
    Occassionally I will get a DVD which is damaged and get a error message( these are movies I have checked out from the local library and I been abused by children) , most the time a bit of cleaning will get DVDshrink to read the disk.
    Just the other day It ried the movie "Bruce Almighty" perfectly new disk and got the error message reduncity check, I borrowed another disk and the same, so is there some new type of encription out there which is stopping my backing up the movie? If so does anybody know what I should use to get around it. I also tried DVDcopyxpress and it stopped in the same spot.thank you

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi robertj, If I'm reading this right, your error is on the read-rip part of the backup, not on the burn back. I don't know of a new type of encryption yet, but you never know. I haven't had one that shrink couldn't decrypt yet. You might want to try the trial download of Anydvd and Clonedvd which work together. Anydvd works in background as the decrypter while clonedvd does the rip and burnback. I find myself using these more now than dvdshrink. Try them out. Jerry

3. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

have you tried dvd decrypter? The price is right (free). I use it when I have errors. Use it in file mode and then open shrink and open the video_ts.ifo (in open files).

this has always worked for me.

4. -=JRC=-

-=JRC=- Guest

Shrink had trouble with Xmen2

Dvddecrypter Didn't.

I did encounter a problem with Pirates of The Caribbean. (Using Shrink 3.0)
    After deselecting extras & audio etc.. I went to reauthor tracks 1-31(Main movie) Before the reauthor it said the tracks were about 5-6gigs.

After selecting & moving the tracks to reauthor the tracks measured at 10-12gig.

Any Advice?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2003
  5. RobertJ

RobertJ Member

Zero problems with "Pirates of The Caribbean" Came out fine
    I have not tried clondDVD on "Bruce Almighity"
    Yes just the read mode did not use Nero

6. Craic

Craic Member

JRC,

Had a similar situation with Pulp Fiction. Just turned out to be repetitive tracks used from the main menu for access to a soundtrack. I used the video preview windoe to confirm after checking by playing the DVD normally.

Hope that helps.

7. -=JRC=-

-=JRC=- Guest

RobertJ

Did you put POTC on one disc or two?

8. Craic

Craic Member

BTW,

Copying from a library. Sounds like this thread may be cut! lol

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I've read stories on here about using decrypter and shrink together. Seems file size almost doubles when you do. I never tried it to see why or how. Jerry

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi guys, Just finished Bruce Almighty yesterday, no probs and X-men 2 is ripping as I type this. I'm using Shrink without re-authoring on X-men, I just pulled the ratios down on the menus and extras. That should preserve the menu structure (I hope!) I took a look at it with AnyDVD and it still looked a bit over-compressed to me. So I used Shrink instead. After I get it ripped, I'll take a look at it with PowerDVD and see how it looks and sounds. It just finished so I'm leaving! :D
    Frank

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi again! Ok X-men ripped with Shrink looks and sounds good on PowerDVD. Compression on the main title is 77%. Audio selected was the 191MB AC3 2 channel. The menu selector works.
    Gotta burn,
    Bye,
    Frank

12. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

I backed up Bruce Almighty, X2, and Pirates of the Carribean (although had same problem as JRC with the size, so i just did the full disc) with dvd shrink and they all worked fine.

13. RobertJ

RobertJ Member

JRC

Pirates of the Carrabean on one disk , plays fine wish I had a large screen TV to really tell
    mines 28inch looks good

14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Robert,
    What kind of compression did you end up with?
    Just curious!
    Frank

15. RobertJ

RobertJ Member

fasfrank
    I believe it was 77% and I did a deep analysis

16. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Robert,
    I thought I had X-men done but I managed to burn it with no audio anyhow. Hehe, I tried to use just the 2 channel audio but that only plays through the opening menus. This time I'm burning it to RW media (1X is so slow after 4X!) just to make sure.
    Frank