1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are these DVD Shrink errors correct?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by sascrunch, Jul 8, 2007.

1. sascrunch

sascrunch Guest

Hello,
    Out of the blue I started receiving DVD Shrink errors on everything I try to copy. Even in the instances of a multi-disc set of TV programs that I am backing-up for myself, where I was half-way through the set, only to have the remaining discs be met with errors. Finally, I tried shrinking a disc which I had already made a copy of and I encouontered the same errors, which clearly hadn't been there the first time, as proven by my success. My discs aren't dirty, I've tried 2 different DVD drives, and I've been using DVD Shrink for a couple of years without any problems at all. All of this leads me to believe that there is something other than encryption causing this, especially since the DVDs in question are about 5 years old. The two errors are below, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might investigate or do?
    Thanks.

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue this
    operation.

CDvdCSS::Read failed!

The reason is: Copy Protection Error - The read failed because the sector is

encrypted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.

Copy protection error

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

2. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  3. sascrunch

sascrunch Guest

How do you explain that I'm unable to shrink a DVD which I had no problems shrinking previously?

4. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Well, that is odd since the errors seem to point to a copy protect problem? Try uninstalling shrink, then reinstall and see if that helped.

You really should try DVDFab, shrink is outdated.

5. sascrunch

sascrunch Guest

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting using it in addition to Shrink. But, it will do the same thing as Shrink? I was cringing at the idea of adding yet another 20+ minutes to the whole process. Pretty soon it'll take me longer to make a copy than watch the actual movie!
    I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling it and see what happens.

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

He was suggesting that you rip the DVD using DVDFabDecrypter and then running the file thru Shrink like you've been doing. Shrink alone will NOT rip some of the new movies. It needs help now, but will work fine after the rip. Fab is free.

Edit: Check the DVD for fingerprints or dirt or a new defect which could explain not ripping a disc that was previously ripped.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  7. sascrunch

sascrunch Guest

Thanks to both johnl123 and garmoon for taking the time to answer my questions. Uninstalling it seems to have been the random winner, for some reason. But, I think that you're right and that I'm going to need to spend some time looking at that DVDFab!

8. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

You're welcome, glad it worked:)