1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are these Mp3's? or not?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jaredB, Mar 6, 2007.

1. jaredB

jaredB Member

Ok, first of all, I know I am new to this. No need to point it out. However, I think my problem might be something other than a newbie problem but I am not sure. Story is, I recently have been experimenting with torrents as an alternative to limewire which i have used for a while now. In experimenting with this i downloaded a few mp3's to see how it works. I did the whole thing, downloaded the torrent file and then opened it with the client i chose and received the files in my folder. The files have a .mp3 extension. However they cannot be played by any of the media players i have. I've tried various converters and none of them work. Windows media player 11 says that the file extension does not match the file format. Even when you look at the properties of the mp3's themselves it shows the size of them to be correct. I have search through many forums and asked many questions and none of the responses i have received have been relevant. I am just looking for a straight forward answer. The question has come up that they might be corrupt but i have tried downloading different files from different locations and gotten the same results. Again, if this is a big newbie question, which im sure it is, im sorry, but i cannot find any answers to it anywhere else. Most people i have seen that asked this same question had a problem with their videos they downloaded or stopped at the .torrent file and wondered why it didnt work. I consider myself to be pretty computer savvy but still have to be told or showed some things if i have never done them before. Anyways, sorry about the rant but i am just anxious to figure this whole thing out for obvious reasons.
    Thanks

2. undine

undine Regular member

3. jaredB

jaredB Member

That program lists them as mp3 under file type but under encoder says 'file could not be scanned'.

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Did you let them complete, and your client start seeding?

Next step is to probably try converting them to a different audio format, wav/ogg/ape and see what errors a converter throws.
    I always throw this one at people because it's free, and works well as a trial.. http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

Not everything on torrent sites is what it seems, but mp3 files are usually ok (it could be that they are a different format from what they are labelled, in which case??????????)

try getting on the afterdawn irc channel and see if somebody can get this worked out for you.. irc.stormchat.org #ad_buddies

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2007
  5. jaredB

jaredB Member

Yes. both times i have tried downloading stuff they have finished and began seeding. (Although ethically i dont know about seeding these things with as much trouble as i have had with them, even though both times they have had about 2,000 previous downloads).
    After using that converter on one of the files it said 'error valid mp3 frame not found'.

6. jaredB

jaredB Member

just some more info... the mp3's i dl'd were complete cd's that came with a jpg file that i guess is the album cover of the cd. it will not open either. i dont know if its due to compression or what but the file sizes look normal as well as the file type extensions.

7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

This is odd.. I don't know what to do with them now.

I was only asking about seeding to confirm they had actually completed.. uploading is a matter for yourself, whatever you want to do.

I found some info about the "invalid frame" error, but it's really technical..

http://finalscratch.sourceforge.net/why_fs_doesnt_like_your_mp3.html

and from a very technical site
    This doesn't really get us any closer to a cure. It is very interesting that the .jpg files refuse to open either, it does seem likely these files are corrupted..

What would I do in this situation.. probably give up on them and look for another source. To test that it isn't software/windows related maybe rip a track or two off a cd to mp3 and see if the same errors happen..

Honestly, I'm out of ideas but as this has really pricked my interest, and there is a long night ahead of me I'll have a good hunt around and see if I can come up with an mp3 header fixer. That's what seems to be wrong, either the frame headers or the id3 tags.

good news.. try this program http://www.topshareware.com/MP3-Repair-Tool-download-37241.htm

(wow..just looking at that site. There are some amazing tools there!)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2007
  8. jaredB

jaredB Member

Well.. dont worry about it. I tried that program and it didnt work either. I also downloaded some files from a different artist from a different site today and they worked fine. So its something with those particular files. I have decided to not worry about it and try to find them somewhere else. Thanks a LOT for all your help though. That did seem like a pretty cool tool you found. You have definately been the most helpful person out of anyone i have talked to as of yet. Thanks again and if i ever have any problems with anything else.. look for me again! hehe..

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Thanks for the thanks.. I found a really good site out of the search, so everything is good.

I'm just sorry it didn't work, but it looks like a useful tool to have around for the future.