1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we missing some of the bass with the 24Bit formats?

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by haysonics, Jan 20, 2005.

1. haysonics

haysonics Member

Problem solved !!
    Thanks to everyone who responded. For those interested, the issue was that I had told my Pioneer DV-667A that I only wanted to hear the 2 channel mix of SACD's/DVD-A's but also told it that I wanted to hear movies in 5.1 The Pioneer decided that as I did have 6 speakers it would feed the 2 channel mixes to all 6 speakers. I knew it was doing this and turned my other speakers off whenever I was playing either a SACD or DVD-A. For some reason, the Pioneer was not sending low frequencies to the front speakers whenever I was playing either a SACD or DVD-A but was doing so for CD's and movies. Really weird. A lot of people responded assuming it was the now famous issue of a an older model player not having bass management. Well the DV-667A has bass management, and decent bass management at that. So I fixed the problem by going into the settings menu and telling it I had only 2 speakers attached. The problem is that now everytime I want to play a movie in 5.1 (which is everytime I play a movie) I have to go into the settings menu and tell it I have 6 speakers connected. And if I forget to change it back again whenever I play a SACD/DVD-A 2 channel mix I get poor bass response. Pioneer, you winner !!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  2. haysonics

haysonics Member

Problem solved !!
    Thanks to everyone who responded. For those interested, the issue was that I had told my Pioneer DV-667A that I only wanted to hear the 2 channel mix of SACD's/DVD-A's but also told it that I wanted to hear movies in 5.1 The Pioneer decided that as I did have 6 speakers it would feed the 2 channel mixes to all 6 speakers. I knew it was doing this and turned my other speakers off whenever I was playing either a SACD or DVD-A. For some reason, the Pioneer was not sending low frequencies to the front speakers whenever I was playing either a SACD or DVD-A but was doing so for CD's and movies. Really weird. A lot of people responded assuming it was the now famous issue of a an older model player not having bass management. Well the DV-667A has bass management, and decent bass management at that. So I fixed the problem by going into the settings menu and telling it I had only 2 speakers attached. The problem is that now everytime I want to play a movie in 5.1 (which is everytime I play a movie) I have to go into the settings menu and tell it I have 6 speakers connected. And if I forget to change it back again whenever I play a SACD/DVD-A 2 channel mix I get poor bass response. Pioneer, you winner !!

3. Repoman89

Repoman89 Member

I just found a website on this the other day. It should be in the history on my other computer so I'll post it when I get on that one. I'm not sure if it had a fix, but it explained the problem and what it's caused by. And the problem isn't whatever you said it's something to do with the way the 24 bit formats were designed.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  4. haysonics

haysonics Member

Problem solved !!

5. Repoman89

Repoman89 Member

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Anyway I checked all my history links and google searches in the past 3 days and it didn't come up. I guess Firefox doesn't like to save all your visited web pages. I tried some google searches for things like "SACD bass management" and "DVD-a bass management" and some forum topics came up that you might find useful. They should be on the first or second page so go ahead and try that.

-Alex

6. haysonics

haysonics Member

Problem solved !!