1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

artifacts! and burning speed?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by carcm, Feb 14, 2005.

1. carcm

carcm Member

I've tried using dvdshrink to burn onto memorex dvd-r using nero express to make a whole movie backup. Everything seems to work fine until I try to watch the movie on my dvd players. Then it usually has lots of artifacts and doesnt play well (ie skipping feezing or reapeting among some of the symptoms). So I tried using dvd decrypter first and then shrinking and burning with dvd shrink using nero. And viola! everything works perfect. Anyone know why? And it happens on almost every single disk, doesnt matter the publisher. And one more thing nero express never seems to burn at the full speed of the media. For example, the memorex dvd-r are 8x but will only burn at 6x even though my drive supports 8x burn. and if i use a 6x dvd-r it burns at 4x??????

2. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

carcm--
    A couple things I can see right away--!. is Memorex media--known to be terrible media--Try Sony, Verbatim Datalife, Taiyo Yuden, Maxell--check around this forum and you will find lots of problems with Memorex--Number 2--Burn speed--It is generally accepted that 4x should be the maxium--increasing the burn speed increases the chances of errors--so, try better media and keep the speed at 4x or less and I think you will have much more success--Good Luck

Whitfield

3. wild77

wild77 Guest

Try a better brand media Memorex is not the best,Too many different suppliers.Try burning at a slower speed as well 4x works well.Check out this link and try doing a search on media also.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

4. carcm

carcm Member

thank u both, but it seems weird that using dvd decrypter fixes it. even still it is quite annoying having to use 8 gigs of hd space to rip then another 4 gigs to shirnk, not to mention the added time it taks. I will get better media and lower the burn speed. because dvdshrink is very convenient, does everything in one package.