1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As of now, has Microsoft banned a flashed Xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Wilund, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Wilund

Wilund Member

I've been thinking about flashing my xbox 360 to play burned games. I realize that Microsoft could at anytime ban a softmodded xbox 360, but has anyone actually been banned from xbox live yet? If so, does Microsoft ban the system so that it can never use live again? I guess I just want to know if I'll still be able to use Xbox live, and if i can undo my firmware update if I am banned.

2. sdhookah

sdhookah Member

I haven't heard of anyone being banned from XboxLIVE for using cracked firmware, though if they DO ban you you likely wont be able to just undo the firmware update and reconnect (regardless of whether you get a new account). reason for this is that mocrosoft would likely ban you mac address.

3. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

yeah but we all know, if you get your console banned, they dont ban the account, so just take your 360 back to walmart and tell them that you got it the night before but you lost the receipt they will gladly exchange it for you

4. sourD

sourD Regular member

With a router you can change your mac address however many times you please, easy work around for a mac address ban.

5. sdhookah

sdhookah Member

i think you might be mistaken. a router can change your local IP (which would do nothing even if they banned only your IP), but your mac address is something that is tied into the nic of your 360. think of it like a network serial number. it's not something your router has any control over (to my knowledge)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  6. dsdavis6

dsdavis6 Regular member

from what i know of psp mac addresses it woudnt be that simple its built into the hardware

7. reprazent

reprazent Regular member

Only thing you can change with a router is the IP.

Each and every machine has it's own unique MAC adress that can't be changed.

8. Azrea1

Azrea1 Regular member

yeah its programed into a rom on the hardware.

9. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I have heard that if you buy a new Network adapter (The Ethernet Jack on the 360) that is will change your MAc address because that is the only place it is tied to! Has anyone else heard this?

10. dsdavis6

dsdavis6 Regular member

i doubt it because then it would be the same if u used a new ethernet cable and im sure microsoft would have thought about this cheap way around mac address changes... this is just a guess not a facct

11. NextLevl

NextLevl Member

Some of you are pushing completely false info..

mac addresses CAN be changed, hardware varying of course..

If you use the ethernet plugin on the 360, you have 1 mac address, if you use a wireless usb plugin, it would have a diffrent one.

Therefore if they banned the mac of the actual unit, chances are you can use a wireless connection and get around it..

I think they may have a diffrent way of banning though, maybe your serial number inside?

The above way seems to easy..

But as far as I know, they have NOT banned anyone yet for having a softmodded xbox. Time will tell, and I am sure it will be wide spread at once.

12. reprazent

reprazent Regular member

You guys seem to be mixing up things, the MAC-adress of your machine is what counts (and that cannot be changed), not of your NIC or wireless hub or somesort.

even if you can change the NIC's mac adress infinitely, your 360 still has got the same MAC adress.

Not much of a workaround if you ask me ;)

13. Azrea1

Azrea1 Regular member

yeah, som of u are mixing up mac address and ip address, ip address can be changed, but macs are burned into the rom on the nic card.

14. nazza2310

nazza2310 Guest

I am a part of the Xbox Live Server Network (XLSN) and from my knowledge of finding out whether those people who are using it with a chipped/flashed xbox will be banned through MAC address and so far i know that the Xbox Team have found out away so stop people with flashed/chipped xbox's and they are not releasing the update which recognises your firmware which should be on your console and which is on your console and it will automatically do this without your update permission and there will be an automated ban on your address.

15. dsdavis6

dsdavis6 Regular member

hmm... is this just an xbox live ban it wont be a complete console disabling?

16. sdhookah

sdhookah Member

It would just ban your mac address from xbox live. they can't release an update to disable the console you paid for.

17. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

u got a point

18. sdhookah

sdhookah Member

well, I don't believe the wired network adapter on the 360 is easily swapped, it should be soldered onto the motherboard. The easier solution is to buy a USB wireless adapter and use that to connect.

19. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

20. Rydis

Rydis Regular member

I can see a big problem with this. People get banned, then sell it on ebay and buy a new one while the unsuspecting person can not use their console they bought. Returned to walmart or wherever and they put in back on shelf and person can't get online. This method of banning is not that way to do it.