1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask-Software for specification avi file ?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by sunarto16, Mar 21, 2005.

1. sunarto16

sunarto16 Member

is there any software to know about specification of avi file ?
    interlace or progressive, upper field first or bottom field first, frame based or field based ?
    What the best setting GOP and matrix in CCE ?

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Gspot will tell you most things about any avi.
    Virtualdub will also give some information.
    GOP must be between 15 and 18 frames, with 1 I frame for NTSC. 15 frames for PAL.
    Matrix should NOT be touched, unless you KNOW what it does, and why one would want to change it.

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

In CCE I prefer to use a 12 Frame GOP But that is Just my Personal Preferance ,and what Matrix you use depends on the Bitrate you are useing...Any GOP under 15 Frames for NTSC is DVD Compliant and any GOP under 18 frames for Pal is DVD Compliant...The Smaller the GOP the Better the Quality but you will also get bigger File sizes because there are More I Frames which are Less compressed than the B and P Frames...

Any Bitrate over 4000kbs should use the "Standard" or "Mpeg Standard" Matrix ,and for Bitrates between 2000kbs and 4000kbs should use the "Very Low Bitrate" Maxtix and any Bitrates under 2000kbs should use the "Ultra Low Bitrate" Maxrix.....(This is what the Manual Says)

To Find out if your AVI file is Interlaced or Progressive and it"s Field order you can do a couple things...
    What I actually do which is simple is I first Load my AVI file into Tmpgenc useing the WiZard and it will scan the File to see if it is Progressive or Interlaced and to find it"s Field order and when it has Finnished scanning the File the settings will automaticly change to the Correct ones so you just Look at the settings and you will know if it is Progressive or Interlaced and it"s Field order...

The Files Frame Rate can also give you a Good Idea if the File is progressive or Interlaced...
    Most Files that are 23.976fps are going to be Progressive because 23.976fps Is the Film Frame rate which is allways progressive...If the File is 25fps Pal and is of a Hollywood Movie then chances are that it is progressive but if it is a TV show then chances are it is Interlaced ...
    If the File is 29.976fps then Chances are it is Interlaced but it isn"t allways the Case so it is Good to Check if you aren"t sure....

Cheers

4. sunarto16

sunarto16 Member

I using codec matrox rt2500.
    So what the best setting in CCE 2.67 for Mpeg2 VBR PAL ?
    Because my result always interlace.

Thx

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if you are Captureing from a Matrox RT2500 then your Files are either DV AVI files or Uncompressed AVI but either way the Files are Interlaced and Most Likely "Bottom Field First" ...

I suggest you Leave all of the settings at there default settings accept look for the "Block Scanning Order" setting and set it to "Alternate" but everything else accept for the Bitrate settings of cource can be left at there default setting....

I don"t have CCE SP 2.67 Installed right now because I am useing Version 2.70 so I don"t really have anything to referance but from what I remember you can leave all of the settings at there default setting accept for the "Block Scanning Order" setting...

In the Audio Settings you can select either Wav/PCM or Mpeg-1 Layer 2 ,If you are going to make a DVD From these files then you should select "Mpeg-1 Layer" 2 audio at "48000hz" and between 192kbs and 384kbs....

As for Bitrate settings you will generally get the best results useing the "Multi-Pass VBR" encodeing mode useing from 1 to 4 Passes but what Bitrate settings you use depends on how long of a Movie you are encodeing because too high of a Bitrate and the file will be too big for a DVD and too low and the Quality will be Low and there will be extra Space left over on the DVD....
    I suggest you get a Bitrate Calculator so you can calculate the Bitrates you need to use Based on the length of the movie....

Good Luck