1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Hey all,

running ultimate x64.. and for some reason some of my folders don't show the names of files/subfolders when I am in medium or large icons view. Any ideas?

Here's a pic

2. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Well I have no clue about any answers to any previous questions. So I guess I'm just gonna add to the noise with my question.
    I have a Sony Vaio VGN-AR730E with a "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC" (manufactured by IDT) device that is working just fine. However, as with that of many other people, it doesn't have the "what you hear" option under record devices in the sound control panel. It IS showing all disabled/hidden devices, it just isn't available with the drivers. I tried something called Virtual Audio Cables but it has horrible quality as it will speed up/slow down, get choppy, etc. I would like to know if anyone has be able to find drivers to enable this functionality.
    Thanks in advance.

3. highguy23

highguy23 Member

my WMP wont play dvds. gives me this message
    Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

dvds wont play in any program actually
    anyone have any ideas that could help

4. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

First off, you are using original copy DVDs and not backups right? It sounds like you are experiencing Vista's ultimate 'we tell you what you can and can't watch' DRM scheme. I believe the problem is that either you video card's drivers aren't approved by Microsoft, your DVD drive's drivers aren't approved by Microsoft, your display's (monitor/screen) drivers aren't approved by Microsoft, the codecs for reading your DVDs aren't approved by Microsoft, or any combination of the previous. You need to post what hardware you have to give an idea what might be causing your problem.

5. arcder23

arcder23 Member

Gratzzzzz guys gesss what?? You got a virus NOW!!!!

6. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

That comment would be considered by many as spam. I suggest you don't post such (if you were talking about Vista, obvious) comments or the moderators might possibly ban you.

7. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

I second WeirdName on that one.

8. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Care to elaborate?

Are you sending us a virus via osmosis?

9. arcder23

arcder23 Member

no, just that fact that you guys got a useless Operating system

10. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

What are you, 13?

Vista is actually fairly useful once you learn the ins and outs to it. I wasn't a big Vista fan until i started using it more. I run both now and am actually pretty pleased with how Vista is running on my Laptop.

11. arcder23

arcder23 Member

haha no im 18 and im a i.t tech and vista does suck..

12. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Well, thanks for providing such a strong argument to back up your very staunch opinion.

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@arcder23

Some credentials there, 18 (you think you know it all at that age ) and i.t. tech (whatever that may be). You'll need a lot more to get a decent job.

14. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

LOL

Don't know why everyone bitches on Vista so much, if you have enough RAM, SP1, and an ORIGINAL copy, it is actually good
    I like it

(A lot of people I know hate it only beacuse the *ahem*cracks*ahem* they got don't work, I tell them to get the original and see what Vista really is)

15. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Well I have an original copy running on my laptop with more than sufficient resources, and I still find it quite obnoxious. As a matter of fact, explore just crashed a few minutes ago. I still use it however because (a) I'm too lazy to install XP, and (b) it still isn't quite bad enough to force me to install XP.

Wow, you're 18, have the grammer of a 12 year old, and claim to be an "i.t tech." Just out of curiosity, what exactly is an information technology technician anyways?

EDIT- Oh, and I've been using Vista since January so I've had more than enough time to get it setup to my liking. And in that time, I have had innumerable crashes trying to hibernate. As a power user constantly changing it and trying new stuff, I find it quite unstable compared to XP. Personally, I think it's like people such as Jessica Simpson or Paris Hilton; people may thing they look good, but inside there isn't a whole lot of intelligence...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  16. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  17. darthmunk

darthmunk Member

Okay I have a question. I bought a PC with Vista pre-loaded. Should they have given me the windows vista disc or would the install be located somewhere on the computer? Because I got no disc with it and I need to reinstall windows.

18. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

You have come across one of the many problems with Vista. Unfortunately, Microsoft assumes you will never have to reinstall their operating system, and therefore don't include an install disk. What you will need to do is find the program on your computer (if there is one) to create restore disks. These can be used later to restore the computer back to the setup it was when you made the disks. Stupid, yes. Annoying, yes. Likely to change soon, I doubt it.

19. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Yup, u suppose to make a backup, to recover your system, if you can get the disk somewhere, you could install it using your key, and it isnt annoying like xp, where they have home, pro, oem, tablet...editions where only certain disk work. But then you will have to download all the drivers and install them. Some computers especially HP computer have a recovery partiton where during the bios boot up you could press F12 or F11, i dont remember, but it should say there, and it is used to do a full system recovery.

I have a question though, i have this tablet recently and Vista was preinstalled and its been giving me a lot of problems, i get BSOD watching some mpeg videos, and flipping the screen around. I have no clue if SP1 is installed, but when ever i try to do a vista update, most of them screw up the system, going to a endless loop sayin something like install fail, revertin/uninstalling, then reboots. I donno Vista runs good on my desktop, although im mostly on my xp partition.

20. emmarox

emmarox Member

I've just got a new laptop, Inspiron-1525, with Vista. After hooking up my 500Gb Western Digital Ex.HD, it installed and shows up in My Computer. However "F:/ Access Denied" appears whenever i try to open it. Properties gives it 0 bytes Capacity.I tried taking "ownership" of the drive, all users are in Full Control. Another forum said to try Properties>Security>Advanced>Edit Check "Replace all existing inheritable permissions..." and apply. click ok 3 times. After i apply, access is denied, unable to save permission changes. Any help would be great, i'm stuck. Thanks ahead of time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.