1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyknappy

tyknappy Member

Go into computer management and click on disk management and tell me what it says if anything for you disk, you may have to reformat it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@WolfgangC
    No advertising so you need to edit your sig ASAP.

3. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Member

Hey

I'm having a a problem with vista that i think is concequentaly causing a knock on problem with football manager 2009 (if you can think of two more buggy programs i'd be surprised!!!) i need to take read only off the file C:\ProgramData\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate but whenever i do this next time i go into it the file is read only again. have turned off user account control am the administrator and still no avail. any help would be much apprieciated.

Thanks a million

Joe

4. malakav

malakav Member

im a lazy searcher, i admit it

what is the easy way to access the administrator mode in Vista when you dont have it active?

the case is that a laptop of some guy i know for some reason doesn't accept his pass, and cant access vista, there was an easy mode once you are on the login page, without having to use safe mode, can any of you guys help out? thank you very much

by the way im a XP UE supporter ehehehehe, i think even W7 is gonna sucks even more *** than Vista

5. awhansen

awhansen Member

i dont know if this belongs in this thread, but it is vista related
    there is a secured wireless network i am trying to connect to, but vista will not ask for a password, and i dont have any networks saved, any ideas?

6. bigdunc

bigdunc Regular member

Just got meself a Markus 750 media center with 500 gig HDD attatched internaly
    Me lappy with vista on wont pick it up as f drive
    And if it does ,it locks up and a reboot is needed

If i put my Lads lappy into it with XP os It runs no trouble
    Anybody know how i can get it to pick up the vista Laptop.......Paul

7. malinko

malinko Member

Is there a way to get the product key off of a emachines recovery disc for vista home premium without knowing it??
    I got it from a friend and want to put it on my other pc so it will have vista too but don't know the key or if I even need one?/
    He had one and sold it but still had the disk

8. dru3692

dru3692 Member

I know this isn't about Vista but didn't know which other thread to put this in that I would get a response. Please help.

Have a laptop with WinXP that gave me the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. Trying to recover the data from the HDD. Don't have an IDE converter. Not sure which is the best free software to use (hoping for suggestions). I guess I could try to reinstall XP but not sure how that works concerning the need to reformat the disk. Pretty sure it will only affect XP system files but just wasn't sure. Either way, I don't have a XP install CD to use. I do have a RE-INSTALL CD for XP that came with an old Dell but the recovery feature just drops me at a dos screen that says c:\windows>. I tried use the 'fixboot' command but after writing the new boot sector I still get the BLUE SCREEN. Getting the blue screen after the windows logo disappears and the cursor is the only thing I see over a black screen.

Willing to buy an IDE converter if that will help but I figured there is an easier solution. The owner wants to reinstall XP and I was thinking of putting some simple linux distro on it for the owner's extracurricular downloads ;) which may have brought in a virus that caused this problem in the first place.

Thanks,

Andrew

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

10. dae2143

dae2143 Member

help i need alot of help well everytime i try to turn something on it say something like the archive is either in uknown format or damaged i need help plz i cant lose my pc i need it plz help i saw the post of this same thing but when i downloaded the thing the file recovery thing it wont even open thats how bad and all i did is click open with winrar then this plz help plz

11. zafos

zafos Regular member

Moved my question to a new thread...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  12. dreamin19

dreamin19 Member

I have a reformatting vista question.

I have a Dell XPS 420 with 32 bit vista.
    Problem is, my dvd drive isn't working. I ran a diagnostics test and got Error Code: 00F00: 137B
    Msg. BDR_1: Drive Media missing or blank.

Well, I got into the boot menu and tried to load the disc, but it wouldn't read. I tried to restore it to factory setting, and after entering "repair your computer" it doesn't load.

I've actually asked this in the dell support forums, but they didn't give me much to go after. And my warranty JUST expired.

I'm just wondering now, how can I reformat if the disk drive doesn't work? or how can I actually repair the drive? (Some disks do work, when i put in a blu ray or dvd it can play on cyberlink power dvd 9). Then when I try to burn on nero, it tells me that my drive is in use.

Anyone can help? Thanks.

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Did your XPS come with the ability to restore it to the way it was set up when it arrived at your house. My XPS Dimension 620i with XP did. Look at your manual. If you can you don't need the drive. If it still is not working after restore replace it. I'm not talking about system restore.

14. dreamin19

dreamin19 Member

I actually tried to do that, but for some reason when I enter "computer repair" it doesn't give me anymore options, the screen goes to a gray area with this background. I have the ability to move the mouse, but nothing pops up.

15. Praha

Praha Member

I've just gone from Vista to 7. But Vista remained on my laptop, and it's taking up much needed hard drive space with crap that I no longer care to keep. I'm able to boot into vista or 7 when I re/start my laptop. I want to get rid of Vista all together from the laptop.

I don't want to format it as I'm afraid I'll lose 7. What is my best (read: easiest, I'm a noob) to do this?

16. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

Praha

If you want to get rid of vista, you will have to do a clean install with win 7 disk and delete or reformat any partition you don't want.

17. Praha

Praha Member

I tired putting the ISO disc of Windows 7, which I installed with, but I'm not really sure where to go from there? Do I try to update or custom install? I would like to completely get rid of vista. I've already backed up everything from vista. I don't mind which way even if I have to re install windows 7 or reformat etc.

18. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Seems Vista was about as exciting as Windows Me and about as bad. Everyone wants that thrash out of their box.

19. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

Praha,

Try burning your win 7 iso, and boot from your burned disk.

Garmoon,

How are you mate??

20. Praha

Praha Member

I've already installed 7(same way you suggested), but it installed on my secondary drive instead of installing over vista which is what I thought would happen. So right now I've got vista & 7 installed, but only want 7, but don't know how to get rid of vista completely off my system. I don't know what steps to take to rid my laptop of vista. Do I reinstall 7 or some other step? I'll do whatever I need to, just wanna get rid of vista for good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.