1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask your Windows 7 (beta) questions here

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by omegaman7, Jan 12, 2009.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well... been running build 7000 for 24+ hours. Pretty awesome. Only minor bugs to speak of. This is quite possibly the best thing microsoft has EVER developed! I have hit a couple errors, but its quite possible that my system is not quite up to the challenge. I just dont know enough yet to comment on that. Apparently vista drivers (atleast one) work. An older printer of mine had a compatibility error. Downloaded a vista driver and Vwalla.

Edited due to mistake! Dvd playback may indeed be possible. I am now running ffdshow. But I would lean on the ability of W7 ultimate to playback dvds :D
    If I ever jump to conclusions in the future... BEAT ME SENSELESS :D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. varnull

varnull Guest

Enjoying testing fista2?... same old crap.. been there .. seen it.. and why no dvd support.. DRM hahahaha.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Edit - No longer relevant

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  4. varnull

varnull Guest

When I manage to pick myself up off the floor and stop laughing at the blatant M$ fanboy arrgance of that statement.. I will retort..

SHILL.. spamming closed source failed proprietary software.. Like I want anything to do with that shite that M$ peddle to all you noobs?.. and ever will want anything to do with the obsolete monolithic crap??

Honestly.. I tested the last version of this junk.. he pre-beta that has been kicking around for a while.. and found it to be what M$ product has been for the last 8 years.. something from the dark ages.. no inventiveness.. no quality.. no innovation.. Just the same old crap they have been pushing since '95 with it's limited hardware support and insistence "it knows better than you what hardware you have, and how you want to use it"

I'm sorry to burst your bubble.. BUT.. why the hell should I move from using a superb full 64bit mature OS which is totally free and open, to using some expensive closed down obsolete broken by design pile of crap.. and pay a heap of money to buy nothing but smoke, because as we all know.. when you buy something which is subject to activation you have bought nothing at all.. Go on.. You tell me what possible advantage there is in running M$ product.. dare you.
    Stick your windows 7.. or whatever crappy name you can think of .. where the sun don't shine.. A world without M$ would be better for all...

I WILL NEVER use Microsoft operating systems ever again.. and I strongly suggest all you sheep get with the program and ditch it too before it is too late.. It isn't the FOSS users who suffer from monopolistic business methods.. It's you.. the sheep who continue to buy in, and worse still.. the SHILLS who advocate using the crap. I don't care what you chose to do.. BUT.. I would never be as arrogant as to say that "Even you <whoever> will one day be using this <insert FOSS product>" I know better than that.

Oh Mick.. heres a troll for you to rip a new one for XD

Backup dvd wasn't decrypted enough?? QWTF.. it's either had the encryption stripped or it hasn't... More likely wm(spyware)player detected it as a copy and then failed to phone home to all the big studios and mppaa trolls with your details.. freaked out and crashed..
    That's what it is doing when it goes "looking for codecs" for file types you have played hundreds of times.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ok... I misjudged your technological standing point. I couldnt agree with you more, actually. I mearly have more time on my hands than I know what to do with, PERIOD. But I still must admit, that the windows GUI has come a long way. And for what it is, MY CONFIG runs pretty smooth indeed. Infact im gonna try my hand at 64bit this weekend.
    And the dvd issue was due to FAULTY virtual drive, thats all. I posted too soon. SORRY FOLKS. I sincerely apologize.

6. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

I'm enjoying my Windows 7 install on a Core 2 1.8ghz 3gb DDR2 800mhz rig and am impressed. MUCH faster than Vista or XP ever was. I'm so intrigued by this new OS that I may load it on a spare laptop I have, one that couldn't even run the Vista beta!

Oh and I'm far from fanboy land when it comes to MS, but I don't think that all of the hate directed at them is justified. They do put out a lot of crap, and they do have a closed system, designed for them to make profit. Sounds just like the other closed system I have, which happens to have an Apple affixed to the side of the box!

7. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

varnull - You're pretty harsh on MS, you know :p

Not that i love them or anything, but i sort of "have" to use Windows, since i game on the PC, and Windows 7 isn't actually that bad, i certainly like it the most of all Windows O/Ss so far, i just wish they'd given it an actual name, since you can't refer to it as 7 or people will have no idea what you're talking about (Unless you're actually talking about it already). I'd also like it if they gave you more freedom for theming, but you can't have everything with them :(

Since the beta takes about 1 minute to "sign up" for, and is totally free, you may as well at least give it a try (I've just stuck it on a 20GB partition i made specially). I'll be getting the finished product, too, by the looks of things, but i won't be paying for it - I don't think it warrants that much ;)

And as SProdigy mentioned he was planning on doing, i've also wiped a nearly 6 year old laptop and installed it on that, which actually runs it fine, only problem is that there are no officially supported drivers for the graphics card in it, since it's so old - not that i could use it for games anyway.

That said, i do have one problem, which is only happening with one program;

"Why does Windows feel the need to create two icons for the same exact thing on the taskbar for Windows Live Messenger? (You can see what i'm talking about here with two different settings - http://bayimg.com/jaMHkaabp ) It has one that says my name and status on it "Adam (Available)" and another the same as the older Windows O/Ss with the words "Windows Live Messenger" on it, both pull up the same window and both are definitely connected to the same window - close it and both icons disappear.

It's using twice the space for the same window, which is really annoying, and it looks stupid too. Do any of you guys know if there's any way to make WLM display as only one icon?"

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yes... It was harsh. But everyone has their own opinion. :) But lets try to stick with the thread topic. Please No Flaming! I dont wanna see people banned because of a thread I started :( I started this thread because there was a similar vista thread, but there was no W7 thread yet. I knew it would come in handy, Thats all :D

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well... Elby's (slysoft) Virtual drive seems to work flawlessly! Very cool. Most of my backups (software) are in .iso format. why make my dvd-roms work with a disc more than once. Harddrives are quicker anyway. MUCH quicker. So there you have it peoples. A working virtual drive for windows 7

10. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

I have tested several backup DVDs and they all seem to work for me. My only complaints are Daemon tools not being compatible (solution: Virtual Clone Drive) and AIM seems to have problems. Other than that all of my programs work and so does my hardware. It has a nice interface and a good speed on an older computer. I have to say that this is shaping up to be a good OS, well at least better than Vista

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  11. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

what problems are you having with AIM? i've installed 6.5.11.1 from oldversion.com on win7 x64, and it works with no problems.

12. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

I'll give that a try.

Update: It still will not work for me. I start the app, it loads then as soon as it loads it closes itself.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I concur. LOL. Love that movie (Catch me if you can). Yah... i have ran several backups myself. So far not even a hiccup. Infact, ive seen some of my best BURN scores on this OS. Shaping up to be VERY good. Infact, One of my Harddrives, maybe all of them, seem to be more stable, and quicker. Certain programs average HIGHER max bitrate transfers. Im betting Windows 7 addresses a better sata controller? Or it simply Indexes the drives more logically/intelligently? Newbies, skeptics, Linux fans, This IS, without a doubt, the best BETA release of windows, I have EVER seen! Infact, believe it or not. I installed XP and W7 on the same day. Guess which one had bugs first! XP!!! Though Im running IE 8 BETA on it. I believe that COULD have something to do with the bugs. Im betting they release it early, what do you guys think?

14. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

There shouldn't be a delay. If anything it is like you said, it will release early. This is more stable at beta stage than Vista was at release. I love this new UI even if a lot of it has been ripped off from Mac.

15. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

IE8 needs to take some things from previous IE. like the address bar list; disable autocomplete in IE8 and the list won't show up anymore. but when you enable it and do ctrl+O, all of the previous sites show up, including the ones you didn't type in the address bar, but in google. i like to keep everything clean in my address list.

and sometimes when i download something, it'll freeze when transferring. say i download something onto the desktop, a good 40% of the time, it'll freeze. it'll show on the desktop, but the download window will be stuck.

ooZEROoo, try running the installer in vista compatability. i didn't have to use the compatability mode, but it may work.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6373/93000739bf4.png

mine is running with no problems. and yes, peerguardian2 does work. run it in vista compatability, and if using x64, you must disable driver check in the F8 menu before boot.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

First off, im running 64bit soo... thats a factor in itself. Just encountered an interesting bug. Photoimpression 6 seemed to lock my printer away from other programs, specifically epson printcd. I tried to print a disc, while photoimpression was running in the task bar. Apparently it doesnt wanna share the printer. Cause earlier today, it was fine. Epson printcd stated that proper drivers werent installed. But when I closed photoimpression, it was fine again. It looks like both photoimpression and epson, are gonna need to cator specific Windows 7 compliancy/drivers/software. Im currently utilizing Vista drivers for 64bit OS. Kinda weird also, it printed CODE instead of an image on one of my discs. WEIRD!!! To extremists or MS techies reading this, Its an RX595 epson. (they may wanna duplicate the results) By the way, lovin the new MS paint. The scanner utility is AWESOME for simplicity.

17. pigy01

pigy01 Member

Hi I have been running Windows 7 for a while the only thing i can't get to work is nero has anyone got around this please let me know thanks

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Which version are you trying to run. Im currently running 9. But im running 64bit, and I believe it can run anything (x86/32bit). It has a special folder for those installs. Please note I dont mean ANYTHING exactly. Depends on many factors.
    And even if we cant, moving on isnt always a bad idea :D

19. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

I can confirm Nero 8 Ultra Edition as working. I think 7 was the first for Vista, and only a certain version. I could be mistaken, but almost 100% sure that anything older than 7 is not going to work with, um, 7! (Windows 7 that is.)

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well... its a good thing I have multiple drives/OS's. My windows 7 drive is having a little problemo, LOL. Nothing serious but, I dont recommend FORCE installing Google desktop to 64bit Windows 7! When I restarted due to a locked up core, it remained locked up when I restarted. From what I can tell, rundll32 is utilizing the full 2nd core of my dual core 5200. Gotta love a multi core. If this would have happened on a single core... OH MAN! I shiver at the thought. I downloaded a vista 32bit version of Google desktop (64 bit not supported yet), had to force install, to get it to run. See... I want a gadget that connects to either Gmail, or hotmail periodically, and informs me of incoming mail. For gmail, I have to have Google desktop installed. Guess that ones out! I tried IMAP as well. Cant seem to get anything to work at this point. Any thoughts guys/gals???

EDIT - ok, it would appear its not fully supported by IE8 yet either. Looks like giving them time, is a very good idea. Their last update was in october, soo... they shoud be aware of multiple bugs by now. Perhaps they're working on a 64bit version as well.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009