1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask your Windows 7 (beta) questions here

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by omegaman7, Jan 12, 2009.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You know... I just reinstalled windows 7, and the issue is still there. So... im leaning toward the fact that I dont have my mainboard drivers installed. And since my board was not released with vista support, im gonna have to try and find them. Any thoughts on that. Would not having them, cause the usb transfer process to malfunction?

By the way, LARGE picture files seem undamaged, Though I imagine that installation packages are a bit more complex.

Actually now, Im thinking that SProdigy may be correct

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You know, after an exhaustive search for drivers for your motherboard, I actually found them. MSI's system is the pits! I did actually manage to find them though. If you can't find your drivers, here they are!
    http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1086

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Man...You just went above and beyond! THANK YOU. I would have looked exactly there first, but you just saved me some time. Yes... I dont like there page configuration either. Infact they have multiple websites under other alias's. Kinda sucks! Cant wait to try the Gigabyte board! Gettin impatient.

In order to save money quicker, I slapped a patch on my shoulder, and quit buying booze for a few weeks. I know I know, easier said than done, right? Im anxious, believe it! If I succeed, I may just owe my new found health to you :D

Mmmm, i'll post soon, regarding drivers helping or not.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

As long as I don't have to give up the pipe! LOL!! It's Billybobs! ROFL!! No bother really, I saw them the other day and bookmarked them, just in case! LOL!! There are vista drivers there too!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ok. Apparently its something else windows 7 related. Because the system drivers had virtually no effect! Im at a loss here. I think this security stuff is total BS! That is what it amounts to right? Some kinda security setting?

This is the exact error that My other computer (XP) gives me.

The Contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its integrity, and try again.

Please note, that this is NOT some illegal software. Its simply nvidia downloaded utilities I was attempting to play with. Yes, I can download them via the mentioned machine, but I wanna know what the heck is going on here!

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ive now attempted transfering a zipped file. When it tries to extract the zip, I get a new message:

Unexpected end of file!

Im really at a loss here :(

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Just for the hell of it try running Memtest 86! Just don't download it on that machine. You will need either a floppy or a usb memory stick to boot from. You will have to select it from the boot manager so it boots from the floppy or memory stick! Check 1 stick at a time! Just playing a hunch here! I just went through a similar thing where files I didn't even access were getting corrupted, and it turned out to be my CPU!

Russ

Russ

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

ahhh... but like I said. When Im running xp on the same machine, and transfer the files to my other XP machine they're fine. Logic suggests, LOL, that windows 7 MUST be the culprit. Or simply a setting within windows 7

I already have that(windows mem diag) on a bootable mini-cd by the way. Havnt ran it in a while but, when I first got the ram I checked it, it was good.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Try dumping the files in a shared folder on the other machine and copying them over via ethernet, ie to see if the usb stick is the culprit..

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I have several usb flash drives, several usb ports, etc. The flash drives appear to NOT be the culprit since when xp is running transfers work perfectly. Out of everything I try, Xp works, windows 7 does not. There must be some kinda setting. Ive had very little trouble with this OS. And this would be a VERY SERIOUS BUG if not a setting.

11. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Unexpected end of archive is usually from a file that hasn't completely transferred over, such as an incomplete download. Can you unpack the archive in XP with no problem? It is possible that it's an incomplete archive to begin with.

BTW, I did have the encryption problem before transferring between Vista and XP systems, but the file name would usually be in another color.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

When I download ANY file, it works on windows 7 machine. When I transfer it via usb flash drive to XP machine, The rendered file is not accessible by windows xp. Its almost like windows 7 changes the file somehow. But then, when I transfer it back to the windows 7 machine, I get similar errors. Almost like windows 7 is protecting itself.
    I'll try downloading something tonight to the XP machine and transfering it to the windows 7 machine, and see what happens. Im afraid im pressed for time now.
    Please believe me when I say "Windows 7 IS THE CULPRIT" Its too logical to dismiss at this point.
    If a transfer from same machine running xp to other xp machine WORKS, then Windows 7 HAS to be the culprit!
    By the way, Windows 7 is now a fresh install! Is it possible, that it simply doesnt want to share its installer packages? .bmp files, .txt files have transfered without incident. Though I imagine that .exe files are more complex.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Don't think for one moment that M$ doesn't know that either! It's the price people are going to have to pay for Snubbing Vista. They've made it plain that they want XP gone! What better way to do it than sabotage it with Win 7? When you say "Windows 7 IS THE CULPRIT", you are 100% correct!

I'm not being cynical about it either. Just this last week we were reminded that when the final XP SP3's time period runs out, you will no longer be able to prevent any upgrades, even if they are turned off. They already know that some upgrades are harmful to certain computers, but you are going to get them anyway. Someone has to pay for all the losses caused by Vista, and they are going to do everything in their power to force Win 7 on us and give XP the final boot! They seem to feel that XP was the reason Vista failed! It became too good, and M$ can't make any money if they can't force sales of new hardware and software! People will just stick with what they have now, and Micro$oft is bound, bent and determined to prevent that from happening!

There's a lot more to all of this than meets the eye, that unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to discuss here or anywhere at the moment, because of my own part in the lawsuit against Micro$oft, and I'm not about to jeopardize my own case and eventual settlement!

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Lol, I had my Suspicions! Thats the most logical, and undoubtful statement ive heard today! I would wager my life on that!

15. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

*SIGH*

If you had to transfer files over a network, or unzip an archived file in Vista when it first came out (and on some PC's to this day) then you would've pulled your hair out and went with XP over Vista.

Truth be told, MS is losing NOTHING in the end. For example, we have enterprise licenses at my work for Windows XP and Vista. We pay for a site license, which is a general number of X amount of computers. It's FAR more than you would think a license would cost, akin to getting DirecTV with NFL Sunday Ticket in your local tavern. On top of this, we purchase OEM built systems from HP, which come with Vista PRELOADED.

Catch 22, our IT department has said NO to upgrading to Vista, because of all of the hassle and the original security woes when it was rushed out. We all think Vista is crap, and we are right; that is why XP continues to exist.

So, if we pay for XP & Vista enterprise licenses and are paying (indirectly) for a Vista license on the OEM PC, how many times is MS getting paid? I doubt they care about Vista "losing" them money, if in fact it is.

The real profit comes from large organizations and OEM builders who have sucked their money into Windows, which I don't necessarily have a problem with, but I wouldn't be the first to say that MS, or their former CEO Mr. Gates, are hurting at all!

In the end, when was the last time you "bought" Windows for your PC? Most people do not build their own systems; they go to the local retail store and buy an HP, Sony, Dell, etc. and are happy. Windows comes with it, usually with no choice (unless you custom order and can downgrade to XP, for example.)

It's these same vendors that were pushing MS to get Vista out, so they had something new and exciting to possibly "boost" sales. It was a terrible rush job and MS is quickly trying to plug the holes with Windows 7. So far, they've done an exceptional job from what I've experienced.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

what I was talking about is hardware and software. Software manufacturers want to show that their software is compatible and put that on the package. Same thing with hardware, and M$ makes money on every sale! Selling the old "Vista Compatible" and now Win7 Compatible! Manufacturer's have to pay M$ to be able to put that on the package! LOL!! The downgrade thing is a rip-off! Dell charges an additional $150 if you want XP, thanks entirely to M$! It's called legal Blackmail! ROFL!!

Russ

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey russ, Isnt it illegal for windows 7 (M$) to change the nature of an installer package? If it changes a NON open source install package, thats illegal, isnt it? Because if it werent changing it, Windows xp wouldnt being giving me the blues about file corruption, LOL. Uh oh. A hole in their plans :O

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

The funny part is it's like looking at the late 1890's, early Twenties. Unfettered Capitalism, right in front of out eyes, in the guise of the "Holy Grail"! In the Twenty First Century, yet! ROFLMSOAO! The worst part is their recent announcements were ill timed, as no sooner was their release schedule for Win 7 known, the developers & tester's discovered 3 very serious Bugs! I'm pissed that it ruined my drive! If it was just me, no harm no foul! But it's a complaint I've heard from others too. Just a rumbling noise followed by a loud "Crack" while using the disk to install. That's all right, I added it to the lawsuit this morning! I gave them the RAR file I downloaded from M$ site. Not CNet, not Guru3D, but MiscoSoft's official site!

It's not the first time, either! See, I'm a very logical person, so think about this. Win 98 became great! Would you have accepted 2000 as the next best upgrade? I wouldn't have! So we got ME! ME proved to be a horror show as it had so many incompatibility issues with drivers, software, even within itself. Some of it's written code was incompatible with other code inside ME! So we got 2000, and everybody loved it. You could still play all your old, Fun, DOS based games with it. Then XP comes out and support for anything stopped for 2000! They tried to do that with Vista, but the consumer had had enough, and fought back! Successfully I might add!

So here we are at Win 7, and XP has decided suddenly to run slower? The computer I'm on right now is running like it's wading in Fudge! I've owned this machine for over 5 years. I know what it runs like! Not like this crap. I took out SP3 and all the recent upgrades, which improved it some, but whatever they put in it has slowed a pretty fast machine down to a crawl! Am I missing something or do you see a pattern here, because it sure looks like one to me!

Now, I'm gonna have to wipe the drive and put something else on it! Maybe 2000 this time. I have some old games I'd like to be able to play again, and there's tons of drivers out there for XP and 2000 now! Something to do after the AMD build is done! Hopefully everything will come tomorrow, but I'm betting on Monday! It's out for shipping so we'll see!

Russ

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You know what sucks? Were at their mercy too. Some people HAVE to have/use windows. Oh well, I suppose as always, I'll adapt.

Lawsuit? Beta's are used at our "own risk" I mean not to step on your toes man. Simply curious, where your coming from. :) That is complete BS though