1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspect Ratio of upconvert DVD

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by leeBen, Feb 10, 2007.

1. leeBen

leeBen Member

I am considering the purchase of a new upconvert DVD player. If using a HDMI cable, I am told that the player will convert the signal to near 1080i. That, I am told, is similar to what the cable company does when it sends out the signal for HDTV. Does that mean that the aspect ratio of DVDs that I play will be correct for my High Definition set? Or will the aspect ratio remain the same as the original recording?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Welcome to afterdawn leeBen. I have an Oppo upconverting DVD player and it really is awesome; most upconverting DVD players do require HDMI or DVI connections though I'm told there are new ones out that will do it by component now but I haven't seen them

The picture upconverted to 1080i is awesome; it is a bit misleading to say that it upconverts to Hi Def, but the pic is far better all the same and you won't regret getting it. Yes, it is similar to the pic from your cable company but it depends on a couple of factors...the quality of your cable company as well as how the movie was filmed or converted to hi def. The high def TV converts the signal to the TVs native resolution. Check the manual for your hi def box though ... many people forget to check the setup menu for the cable box; this determines how the pic is sent from the cable box to the TV set.

There is a forum dedicated exclusively to Hi Def displays; there is huge wealth of information there and a lot of smart/knowledgable people who share their knowledge or insights. Just click "forums" on the AD home page and scroll down slowly, you'll see a forum for "High Definition Displays". Great stuff there. Hi Def Displays is the fifth forum listed. Welcome to AD once again.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007