1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspect ratio on xvid needs changed

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by StoneyNic, Mar 30, 2007.

1. StoneyNic

StoneyNic Member

hi i have a divx compatible dvd player. i have a xvid file of some anime on it but the aspect ratio is so great as to leave the subtitles off screen. could some one please tell me the easiest way to

A. find the aspect ratio of my tv

B. quickest way to change the ratio of a divx or xvid file to my tvs ratio.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

A. You could measure it. But it would either be 16:9 or 4:3 and I would be guessing 4:3.

B. DivX and Xvid are MPEG-4 which allows a flag to set the Aspect Ratio. It works irrespective of container to (you didn't mention a container (Xvid is just a video codec))

Fact is though that your problem is probably due to overscan and not all players support ARS (Aspect Ratio Signalling), so even if you changed the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) the player may just assume 1:1 anyway so there would be no change.

Does the picture actually look distorted?

3. attar

attar Senior member

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Better to use say FitCD to do the calculations and create an AVISynth script to encode. That way you aren't converting to RGB24 and back. Does mean that you would have to process the audio separately, although there was a DSynth mod that would allow you to directstream the audio whilst modifying the video.

5. StoneyNic

StoneyNic Member

thanxs for your quick responses. i did the virtualdub link there and eveything came out mint ( quality is the same and picture has a small border around it and the audio is in sync. it was my first time with this software but the tutorial was very easy. THANKS AGAIN