1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspect Ratio

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by thermal, Jan 27, 2002.

1. thermal

thermal Guest

I read in a different thread that all dvds have a resolution of 720x576(pal) and I presume 720x480(ntsc). This seems to be verified when I use SmartRipper to rip vob files to my hard drive. I presume that there is something that is supposed to tell the player to stretch or squish this data to output either a 4:3 or a 16:9 movie, whatever it was supposed to be.
    I have been using DVDx to make MPG files out of this data, but the always seem to come out "squashed", a 4:3 movie shows at about 3:2, end a 16:9 at about 16:8. I have tried messing with non standard output resolutions to stretch them vertically, which makes the playback "taller", but somehow (no, this doesn't make any sense) everything in the movie still looks squashed! What's going on here? Ay suggestions?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Yeah, all the movies on DVD discs are stored in 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC) resolution. 16:9 movies just have a bit in the stream that tells player to strecth the vertical resolution to fit the monitor.

Of course this gets kinky because there are tons of movies that are stored in 4:3 on the DVD, but have black areas stored in the top and in the bottom of the picture -- these are still 4:3 movies in terms of DVD aspect ratio (and that's the only thing that matters when speaking of DVD ripping), they're just letterboxed. The same thing happens with 16:9 movies as well -- actually most of the movies are shot in 2.35:1 resolution which is even wider than 16:9, but as DVD only support 2 different aspects, 16:9 and 4:3, even the 16:9 version has to have black areas in top and in bottom of the picture (letterboxed widescreen).

Problems you've been experiencing (I don't have any knowledge about DVDx) might be caused by cropping before resizing the picture or some other issue. I suggest that you take a look at our slightly harder method found on our article pages -- it uses separate tools for each phase, but that hopefully gives you better understanding of the whole ripping process, including aspect ratios.

And remember -- PC players might not understand the aspect bits at all and might show 16:9 movie in 4:3 box, but your DVD player should be able to fix it.

3. mol

mol Guest

thermal,
    dvdx settings for pal movies
    open output settings in dvdx
    set it 480x576 (svcd)
    zoom options set Custom
    apply
    dvdx main window go
    settings>>crop>>edit coordinates>>
    set values X1=0 X2=720 Y1=-96 Y2=672
    click ok
    this should do the trick
    frame serve for tmpgencoder
    is easier
    dvdx zoom option to full 16:9/4:3
    tpmgenc advance settings
    center custom 480x432
    source aspect 16:9
    rgds mol

4. muichun

muichun Guest

Hi guys,

I use XMPEG v4.31 & DivX 4.12 to encode the DVD movie. How could I maintain the 720x480 pixels and 4:3 ratio???

Thank you in advance.

muichun

5. dRD

muichun: It depends on your movie. If it is anamorphic, you need to tweak.

6. DaRipper

DaRipper Guest

I want to know what the correct settings are for saving AVI's to mpg with TMPGEnc.

If the movie is letterboxed, I'd like to keep it as such.

What are the correct settings to do so?

TIA

7. dRD