1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASPI problems? Read this

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by cd-rw.org, May 9, 2003.

1. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

What is the point of installing the 4.71.2 and then reverting back to 4.61 (based on your pictures)?

Older ASPI revision, that do not officially support XP but most likely the 4.61 (Force) will work fine), install all [bold]four[/bold] files, but according to Adaptec and XP installation only needs two.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

The reasoning behind by slight unorthodox technique is because many users who encounter problems with ASPI first rush off to install 4.7x and they find that the problems are still not solved and such. The second reason was because I couldnt find a complete 4.6x installation (i only had the 'update').

As to the issue regarding the 2files vs 4files... I have encountered systems that, yes, two files will work fine but for the majority of configurations (mostly with XP Home if that makes a difference), problems still persist until they have the four files (and all of them with matching version numbers). Furthermore, I would imagine (cuz it would seem logical) that if only 2 files are really required, then the other 2 wouldnt be 'activated' ... of course this is Microsoft .... so that line of reasoning goes out the window ;-)

It was just a setup that I found to be fairly successful (havnt had a problem with that config yet) so I figured I'd share it :)

5. Hemispasm

Hemispasm Member

Praetor is right in his way of thinking. Regardless of the fact that older ASPI versions (Adaptec's) dont officially support XP while the 4.7 series do, they are rather less problematic than the latter in many cases. The additional dll file has no effect what so ever.

If you feel its necessary, i can upload the complete 4.6 ASPI installation file for you (not just the update)

6. Hemispasm

Hemispasm Member

7. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

8. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Man, I wish I would have found this thread a few days ago. I spent hours trying to figure out why my Plextor drive was reading DVDs so slowly and actually had 2 bad burns in a row with TDKs. Good thing Nero's InfoTool (great f&*^king program!) pointed out that my system ASPI files were corrupted. It was a bitch to fix and I had to use ForceASPI (ver 1.8 did the trick) to fix it. I don't know which app I installed screwed it up (maybe WinXP SP2?), but I'm sure glad it's fixed now.

9. Weycraze

Weycraze Regular member

I use Xp home, went to adaptec and d/l'd aspi 4.7.
    Low and behold this is what it installs;
    WINASPI32.DLL 4.71
    ASPI32.SYS 4.71
    WINASPI.DLL 4.6
    WOWPOST.EXE 4.6
    If you use xp home this is what your aspi should look like to be installed and working properly!!
    My drives read like there's no yesterday.

10. rterrapin

rterrapin Member

HELP!! PLEASE: I am also having severe problems with this ASPI crap... I have windows ME...I never had this problem until I got and installed an external Plextor PX-712UF DVD burner and a firewire port so it would hook up...I get 2 similar error messages: 1. when I reboot the computer, it says this "this software has detected that currently no ASPI layer is active, it may not be installed, installed properly,etc..." or 2. when I try to use my EAC program(which has never had any problems) it gives me this message, "the ASPI interface could not be initialized correctly(error E7H) & the DLLs/EXEs of ASPI don't version check" ---- I have downloaded and redownloaded everything several times, including the dvd burner... I have used this site to download the applicable drivers and used the aspi check and the message that comes up is that I have installed correctly for ME both the wnaspi32.dll and the apix.vxd ---- but still the same errors appear. Please help, I am so frustrated... Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  11. NYVampire

NYVampire Member

When I try to load the ASPI files, this window pops up

c:\WINNT|SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The System file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.

When i run the ASPI check file, it says N/A for all the components.

12. wanttono

wanttono Member

somewhere on this site i found a blurb that said " if you don't have a adaptec harware or software on your pc then it will not install correctly "
    and i found a link to aspi4all .. and it worked first time