1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard Bios settings

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by VIPER1010, Jan 3, 2004.

1. VIPER1010

VIPER1010 Member

Can anyone please advise. I have the above motherboard with an AMD athlon 2600+ 333MHz FSB processor, 512 Samsung PC3200 400MHz DDR Ram, Radeon 9500 Pro 8xAGP 128MB Graphics card. I'm not sure of the bios settings. At present they are as follows;
    CPU EXT FREQUENCY - 166
    CPU FREQUENCY MULTIPLE SETTING - AUTO
    SYSTEM PERFORMANCE - OPTIMAL
    CPU FREQUENCY MULTIPLE - 12.5X
    CPU INTERFACE - OPTIMAL
    MEMORY FREQUENCY - AUTO
    FSB SPREAD SPECTRUM - 0.50%
    AGP SPREAD SPECTRUM - DISABLED
    GRAPHICS APERTURE - 64MG
    AGP FREQUENCY - AUTO

2. ianhall

ianhall Member

I have one of the same series of board (A7n8x-x). Your settings look fine for reliable operation. The only thing you could change is the memory speed from 166 to 200 as your pc3200 memory will run at 400Mhz (2x200)

3. VIPER1010

VIPER1010 Member

Thanks for your reply.
    When you say change your memory speed. do you mean change the cpu ext frequency to 200?

4. ianhall

ianhall Member

No. What I'm talking about is the memory frequency setting in the Bios 'Advanced Chipset' menu that you have set to'auto'. You'll have a few options, which are expressed as a percentage multiplied by the fsb speed. change it to 120%, then exit the bios, saving the changes. When your computer reboots you'll see a line near the top of the screen telling you what the memory speed is. At the moment it will say 166, but by adjusting the above option it should change to 200.
    Why not 400? Because the memory works at 'Double Data Rate' Hope this clarifies things. Regards Ian

5. ianhall

ianhall Member

Hi again. I've just looked in my chipset menu in the bios, and although the instruction book says about the percentage multiplier I mentioned, it doesn't seem to exist! What there is is just one other setting, which is 'By SPD'. This detects what speed of memory you have and makes the appropriate adjustment. The next line below then says 'Resulting Memory Frequency. Hope this gets the results. Ian

6. VIPER1010

VIPER1010 Member

Ian thanks again I've set the memory frequency to SPD. The resulting frequency is now 200. When I boot up now get 'MEMORY FREQUENCY IS NOW SET AT 200MHz, SINGLE CHANNEL MODE.' Is that right? Kev

7. IanRB

IanRB Member

If you start having any freezing and reboots it will because your memory is not at the same FSB, it is recommended that your memory be the same MHZ as your FSB. If you do need to change it back go to memory frequency and select 100%, that will put your memory to the same as your FSB. If you leave your memory at 200 Mhz and your FSB 333mhz and have no problems at all, then you are one of the few. I have tried it and had nothing but grief.

8. ianhall

ianhall Member

Dear Kev
    The message you get is correct, presuming your memory is on one board. You don't say if you have problems after that. Unlike ianrb I've had no trouble at all, but my motherboard is slightly different from yours (and his). The motherboard manual states that the motherboard will detect the type of memory installed, so to me seems to imply that running a different FSB verses memory speed should work.
    Try it and see,after all, it's a free benefit. If it's not reliable, change it back.

9. ianhall

ianhall Member

Dear ianrb
    I notice your 2500 barton is overclocked, ie should be 11x166 =1.83. Could this be the source of some of your stability problems?

10. IanRB

IanRB Member

Hi IanHall:
    I have no problems at all, my memory is at 200Mhz the same as my FSB. I have had my CPU at this for 2 months now, not one hiccup. The bartons used to be unlocked as mine is so you can run it as a 3200+ with no change to the stock voltages etc. I was referring to when I was running my barton at 333mhz and my ram at SPD which automatically bumped it to 200mhz.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2004
  11. VIPER1010

VIPER1010 Member

Chaps. Thanks for all your replies.IanRB- With regards to your Barton 2500 set at 200 for the CPU frequency. My 2600+ is set at 166 is that not right then? I also spoke to a friend of mine with regards to CPU setting because the post screen shows 'single channel memory.' He advised me to change the setting to 'aggressive' this now shows DDR MEMORY but single channel. However, that has now changed the memory frequency back to 'auto' and 100% What are your views? My system appears to be ok.

12. IanRB

IanRB Member

Hi Viper, yes you have the right CPU freq cause you double what you see for the correct mhz, 166 X 2 = 333 etc. Your ram is at 100% then that matches your FSB. If you go SPD it will run your memory at 400 mhz. Like I said, you could get away with the memory at a higher speed then your FSB but if there are any problems I would look there first.

13. stardust

stardust Regular member

IanRB: "Asus A7N8X Deluxe PCB 2.0 1007 AMD 2500+ 11X200 (2.2 mhz) Barton"

FSB to 200? I tried same (11x200) or 11.5x200 with my 2600+ Barton, but the computer did not even boot. Got error msg "not safe mode speed, press Del to enter BIOS.." etc

Mobo is Asus A7N8X-X rev. 2.0 with DDR400 PC3200 memo. Now it's running at 11.5x190 (coreV 1.75V) and is very stable (2.19GHz). Ram is at 100% and matches my FSB. Why can't overclock it with upping the FSB to 200?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
  14. IanRB

IanRB Member

Hi Stardust: That's a good question. I would guess its one of two things; (1.) the board, the X models may not have the same tolerances as the Deluxe. (2.) The CPU, the 2600 could be locked if it is fairly new, if it is not locked then it could be that you can only go as high as a 2.2 mhz Barton(3200+). What does it show in system properties for your CPU? Mine shows a 3200+.I am only guessing on all this but try this Forum you should find an answer there:

http://www.amdmb.com/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  15. shitface

shitface Member

i got a asus a7n8x deluxe
    amd xp 2600+
    512 dual channel mode at 166mhz
    2600+ 2.08ghz

if increasing to 200mhz can more errors occur due to overclockin or would system be stable?

16. shitface

shitface Member

need help to overclock i set the cpu frequency to 200 and it wont boot up, i turn off cpu and it restarts at 1250mhz instead of 2.08 at 166mhz..
    my memory is set by speed not auto.. wut must i change in bios to overclock properly without raising vcore? help please

Asus A7N8X deluxe
    AMD XP 2600+ 2.08 ghz
    Dual Mode DDR PC2700 256 corasir =512mb
    *6 fans including heatsink*

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  17. VIPER1010

VIPER1010 Member

shitface- My memory is showing single channel. How do you get the computer to show Dual Channel???
    Do you have to alter the memory frequency? Mine is set to auto.

18. logiterr

logiterr Member

viper1010- to get dual channel support you need another stick of ram, the same time as the one you have in there preferably (im not sure if different types work). the two sticks will then automatically switch to dual-channel giving you double the memory bandwidth.

19. logiterr

logiterr Member

this is just general.

i have a 2800+ barton @ 2083mhz. i gather this is stock. 12.5x 166mhz.
    i tried 11x 200mhz. this brought it to 3200+.booted up, played some music in winamp. everything is fine. ran pcmark to see how much of a difference i had. im running the non-pro. before the first test was over it crashed. anyone have any ideas why?