1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS A7V8X-X Operating System Install Problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by imy0uh3r0, Mar 14, 2005.

1. imy0uh3r0

imy0uh3r0 Guest

I am having a hell of time trying to install an operating system, Win XP, on a ASUS A7V8X-X MB. I have tried multiple hard drives and different copies of Win Xp and still no luck. The errors i am getting is as follows:
    "Setup was unable to verify Drive C:
    Your computer may not have enough memory to examine the drives, or your windows xp cd may contain corrupted drivers"

Now i have tried three different versiosn of XP so i am pretty sure at this point it is not the disc. Memory wise i have 256MB DDR in there and the bios sees it. After i get the above error message i hit continue and it begins to copy the setup files for XP and once it is done it goes to restart like always however this time instead of picking up where it left off it just restarts the setup of XP again. Its very frustrating.

Someone had suggested updating the BIOS but i figured it wouldnt hurt to get some opinions from people here.

Hopefully someone out there knows what i am talking about and might be able to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Are you trying to load Windows to a SATA drive or ATA? What does you CMOS show for HDD's?

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can you try a different cd/dvd rom drive as it could have problems reading the cds. are the hd & cd/dvd on same data cable or different cables. are the drives setup as master, slave or cable select. have you tried different ide cables??

4. imy0uh3r0

imy0uh3r0 Guest

Loading to an ATA HD. As for the CMOS i am not sure if it sees one. I will check and find out.

5. jfpolo

jfpolo Member

You problaby have a "leaking" memory stick, also the sugestion of using another cd-rom is a very good one.

6. imy0uh3r0

imy0uh3r0 Guest

just on a hunch i took a hard drive and put XP on it. Left it alone and didnt change anything. Took it out and connected it to the new Asus board. Still nothing. It just hangs and keeps restarting, only showing me the Asus welcome screen.

Could it be a BIOS setting? maybe the memory frequency isnt correct? or CPU speed?

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

When you put the Windows XP Cd in -- the menu offers you the possibility to check your hardware compatibility ! -- It's the last choice. -- Try it in automatic mode and see what it finds on your hardware setup.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

take the board out of the case, isolate it so can still use the psu to see if doing the same thing or not

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Possibly back to basics on this board:

Are we sure that you have your IDE cable placed in the right socket on your Asus, especially since there are 4 to choose from? Are we also sure that you have the IDE cables set properly, Red lead to Pin 1?

10. imy0uh3r0

imy0uh3r0 Guest

All connections to the board are correct. I am strongly considering updating the bios. This is my first ASUS board as i have previusly only used MSI and am now somewhat regretting the switch.

I will update the bios and see if that fix's it. I will update regardless of the results.

Thanks for all the advice.