1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At A Loss

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by essay55, May 5, 2007.

1. essay55

essay55 Regular member

I backed up successfully w/DVD Decrypter, then I opened up DVD Shrink. When I went to "re-author", clicked on the "c" drive, and opened up my folder, nothing happened. The "main" movie title never showed up. This is the 2ns time this has happened. Any clues as to what's going on?

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

First I'll mention that DVD Decrypter hasn't been updated (and can't be) for a long time now. So, if you're using it as a standalone decryption program, you may want to consider using the free DVDFab HD decrypter from DVDIdle or another popular decryption program.

Getting to your problem, you're saying Shrink isn't opening the ripped files for you. Depending on drive configuration (if you have more than C) DVD Decrypter can switch drives according to drive freespace. Do you have a fixed directory set in DVD Decrypter? I created a folder named Ripped Movies and set the path to it in DVD Decrypter so that all my Decrypter ripped movies end up in the same place. If you set the directory or only have the 1 partition, check the files in the directory where Decrypter was supposed to have ripped the files and make sure they're there? Shrink is pretty good about opening files if they're where they're supposed to be.

3. essay55

essay55 Regular member

Thank-you Pacman777 for the advice! Actually I found a solution by running Fixvts. Once I ran that I opened up DVDshrink, the "Main" title appeared, and I was able to drag it over and successfully back it up. The same problem occured with "Deja Vu". Ran fixvts again and it solved the problem. I'm not sure how to "set a path". Maybe you could give me some instructions on that for future reference. Thanks again!

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

[​IMG]

===================================

If you need any directions for the capture let me know. It's pretty straight forward when you know where the settings are. Upper toolbar - Tools - Settings ...

You've found what a number of people do when having problems with copy protection, movie only. The copy protection isn't put in the movie itself, so if a rip is possible, doing the movie alone cures any problems. Personally I prefer having my menus for navigation and often some of the extras. That means removing the decryption and copy protection and sometimes processing with a program like FixVTS for DVD compliance. As you've seen FixVTS is a handy tool. Deja Vu wasn't one of the more difficult movies we've had lately, or at least it didn't seem to be on my system. It was rip, encode, and burn as usual.

5. essay55

essay55 Regular member

Thanks Pacman777 for the instructions! Couple of questions. Should I put the new folder "ripped movies" on the "C" drive, desktop, my documents, etc,etc? Also, what exactly does creating this "path" accomplish?
    Does this eliminate me have to create a new folder evrytime I rip a movie. Sort of a novice when it comes to things like this. Thanks for the help!!

6. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

doesn't matter because MY Docs and Desktop are going to be(taking up space) in the C drive anyway.

yes, it should create a folder with the name of the dvd in the Folder you select for the path.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Bowler pretty much nailed it. Just put the folder in C drive unless you especially want to access it off your desktop. Decrypter is going to access the folder each time it does a rip. As Bowler mentioned the program will name the folder for you, usually the name of the movie, but you have to keep an eye on that. Occasionally you'll have a movie folder listed as DVD Files. In a case like that rename it if you're not going to do the backup right away. Having the folder on the top of the C drive makes them more easily accessible. My computer, C: and there's Ripped Movies.

What setting the path accomplishes is having the different movie files all go to the same place each time you use the program so there is no doubt about where to look. Clean housekeeping.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  8. essay55

essay55 Regular member

Thanks guys!!! Appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me!

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're welcome and no problem. We're here to try to help.