1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T 40X - Free this week at Best Buy - More CMC's

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by BillyG, Aug 27, 2002.

1. BillyG

BillyG Member

10 bucks this week at Beast Buy- free after two separate $7 and $3 rebates..

I bought them because the wrapper said "Verbatim Corporation"(they are just licencing AT&T's trademark). I was hoping for a 50 pack of Metal AZO's but they are just good old Yellow Dye CMC's!

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
    Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Moved to the media forum and cleaned the TRIPLE post.

3. BillyG

BillyG Member

(PS: I'm VERY sorry for the triple post!! - the Mp3 Media page didn't refresh with my post fast enough and I thought I was using the wrong password.)

Anyway I copied some audio CD's using Clone CD and these AT&T's burn fine with my Plextor 24X. These CD-R are the same (dubious) CMC "quality" as the ones they make for Imation, Memorex, Philips, TDK, Optimum and Wal-Mart's Durabrand. For free CD-R's I cant complain. I just wish they were Verbatims Metal AZO CD-R's instead of CMC cheapos - it would have been like shoplifting! :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2002
  4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

WARNING: Do not use CloneCD for audio dublication.

5. BillyG

BillyG Member

Oh pooh on you - Clone CD has worked great for copying audio CD's, I even used the older versions with NO problems. It's much better than the CD copiers that comes with Easy CD Creator or Nero.

Clone CD worked fantastic for copying "on the fly" from my cheap 52X (playback only - plan to get a DVD Drive soon, whats a good one?) drive to my 24X Plextor. If there's a better program thats just made for copying audio CD's without copying it first to the hard drive I havent heard about it yet.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2002
  6. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

CloneCD is bullshit for audio. It doesn't report errors correctly while it can give audible glitches to the resulting copy. You can trust me on this one.

Currently the best audio CD ripper/dublicator is Exact Audio Copy (EAC) and it is pretty much the only safe one.

7. BillyG

BillyG Member

If you right click-then-edit on the setting "Audio CD" Clone CD allows you to change the Audio Extraction Quality to "Best (slowest)". Also lowering "Read Speed Audio" to 10X and under will help. It takes longer to rip the whole CD-R but it's has worked great with my Plextor 24X drive to copy scruffed CD's.

EAC is an excellent program but you have to "rip" each song to the hard drive as wav files and then burn them using Nero. Unless your making a comp from different CD's or want to get rid of the extra video files that many CD's have nowadays, its kind of a hassle.

8. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

I do know CloneCD. I have a Elaborate Bytes provided testing & reviewing serial number for it. At the time that the audio modes were introduced and expert friend of mine tested them and reported that they are 1) inaccurate 2) do not give error reports.

You can also rip to WAV/CUE with EAC and then burn with any software you like. EAC also has limited burner features. Compilations are a different thing, but they are even harder with CloneCD ;).

Feurio is one audio software I really like. It does not perform secured ripping like EAC, but it seems to have a very accurate error reporting. If it reports no C1 (uncorrectable) errors, then the rip should sound ok, even though it might not be bit-by-bit perfect.