1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atheros WiFi card problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by g4nj4, Jul 17, 2011.

1. g4nj4

g4nj4 Member

Hello, this is my first post on this forum, hopefully you guys can help.

My problem arose when the wifi card on my Dell Vostro 1015 began mysteriously dropping connection with my LAN. After I manually re-establish my connection, it would only work for about 2 minutes. This became quite annoying. After attempting to uninstall and re-install the card's driver the computer had the same issue. So I finally broke down and decided to reinstall 7 on my laptop. Upon doing so I lost all connectivity. Device manager registers the device as operational, however when attempting to view nearby wireless networks nothing appears (My router is confirmed working and there are about 4 other LANs around me it should be displaying). At first I figured it was a simple driver issue. I obtained drivers first from the "drivers and utilities" CD included with the laptop, still nothing. I then obtained drivers from the dell support website, which still didn't work. After installing the dell drivers I attempted to manually set up a wireless connection and got nothing but an "unexpected error".

This issues has me quite puzzled. It would appear as if it were a driver or hardware compatibility issue; however this particular driver/wireless network adapter has been working with this system since I purchased it. Maybe this is just a windows 7 bug that arose after some miscellaneous update.

Please help!!!!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is the wifi card part of laptop or an addon?

3. g4nj4

g4nj4 Member

This card is an internal PCI-E card that came with the laptop