1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athlon XP production to end

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by agent-k, Sep 12, 2004.

1. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I just read an article in a pc magazine saying that the Athlon XP range of processors is stopping production apart from the xp3000 and xp3200, and they will be phased out at a later date.
    But the xp2500 is such an excellent chip that I'm tempted to go out and buy a few for future builds if they're nice and cheap before the production run ends.

2. armitage_

armitage_ Member

ohhh well i hope the prices drops on all of them 2

3. john179

john179 Active member

This is having the oppisite effect at the moment as they are high in demand.The prices will go up as there become fewer on the market.

4. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

You are right John, I looked at the price on the xp2500 Bartons today and the price has gone up.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That's a shame. The A64's aren't nearly as good a deal price/performance wise as the XP's were.

6. john179

john179 Active member

Yep i will miss the xp athlon range has been so good to me.Iam keeping hold of my present xp2800 but now starting to think if i really want to part with my xp1800 i'm selling.Maybe i will keep hold of for a my old pc a while longer.

7. drchips

drchips Active member

Athlon XP??

Is that the chip used in toy computers?

REAL computers have INTEL(tm) Inside.

/* me ducks to avoid the flames */

8. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

What have pentiums got in common with politicians?

Overpriced under-achievers,

Hehehe.

9. deyhey777

deyhey777 Member

I bought a 2400+ in Feb from Newegg for $72.Today it's $86.

10. john179

john179 Active member

Hey drchips you probably would not know a real computer in a pc shop so don't go blowing off what you don't know.You stick with your intel which probaly was built for you.Intel are good chips so are AMD and AMD are much better for playing with toys and real toys meaning pc games.So drchips go back to toys are us and learn a little more.

John179
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The Greatest football team in the world
    Asus A7V8X-X XP2800+,2x120gb,1.5gb Ram
    Ati 128mb Graphics,Lite-on 411S NEC 2510A
    os windows xp sp1[/small]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  11. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Bit harsh wasn't it John?
    Did Man Utd lose a game last night? :)

Rooney...! Rooney...!

12. drchips

drchips Active member

Hehehe..
    Haha, this is good..
    !LOL!, it just gets better and better.
    Agreed.
    !LMFAO!, the laughing is starting to hurt now.
    !OMFG!, this is too much, you owe me a new keyboard coz I just sprayed coffee over mine ;)

A little history for ya:

I BUILT my first computer in late 1979 (a Mictotan 65), in those days you needed to be able to use a soldering iron.

Followed by one of the first ZX-80's, a kit (I drove out to Cambridge to pick it up, I was so excited).

That was followed by one of the first ZX Spectrums, that machine was later expanded with a floppy drive which emulated a MicroDrive (remember those).

I used the design of the floppy interface to design and BUILD an interface for an old 5 MEG HARD DRIVE I was given by the university (damn thing was the size of a washing machine, and took about 5 minutes to spin up/calibrate - but it worked and it was FAST!!).

That was followed in 1984 with the purchase of an IBM PC-5150, and later in Xmas 1988 by the purchase of a Hyundai Super 286 (WOW!).

THAT was the LAST computer I have ever bought, since then I have built all my own (apart from the 2 Compaq Proliant Servers, given to me, that I have on my network).

During my relationship with the Sinclair machines I wrote an integer compiler for the ZX-81 and an assembler/dis-assembler suite for the Spectrum.

I started off building the things, and have never really stopped.

I have probably forgotten more about hardware than you know.

Current projects/interests include trying to get my head around quantum entanglement and the effect it will have cryptographically (part of my work).

Let me know how you will send the new keyboard ;)

Have Fun...

13. john179

john179 Active member

Well my friend for someone so clever you would realise there are alot of people who use AMD on this site like myself.So for a educated man like yourself does not seem right to make remarks like this.
    However we are all entitled to our point of view and as Agent-k pointed out i was a little harsh my apologie for that.You can have my keyboard any time mate planning on getting a new one.

Myself i don't claim to know everything about computers as you can never stop learning.Computers are changing all the time that is the fun of them.
    My apologies for any offence caused none was meant by it.

Ps Agent-k 2-2 was the result and was a little bit annoyed with the result but you can't win them all.

John179

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The Greatest football team in the world
    Asus A7V8X-X XP2800+,2x120gb,1.5gb Ram
    Ati 128mb Graphics,Lite-on 411S NEC 2510A
    os windows xp sp1[/small]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  14. drchips

drchips Active member

No worries, mate, I appreciate that you offer an apology and I think well of you for that.

My first post was meant as a joke, hence the
    I thought it might provoke a response (me wicked sometimes).

I myself will quite happily use AMD chips for the non-critical systems I build for people (price/performance ratio is important there).

I am not a gamer, and the majority of my kit runs 24/7 and unattended and traditionally the only available solutions with regard to reliability/quality/management etc has long been Intel.

I need kit that will keep going and not corrupt data even when something fails - hence Intel and V. good quality motherboards etc.

AMD does not cut it in that arena (yet), though they are making the effort.

When they get there I will quite happily use them.

Have Fun, and Peace...

15. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I don't follow football at all (pansy's game) so I didn't realise that they really played last night.
    Who were they playing? Weatherfield blind school?
    hahahaha.

Hey drchips, I built my first computer about 5 months ago and I clipped it all together on my own with no help whatsoever. I did have to use a screwdriver though which got a little confusing, but I managed.

16. Nephilim

This has turned into an entertaining one!

17. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Nephilim,
    be honest, you love these threads ;)

18. Nephilim

The threads where someone steps into the unknown with drchips are by far and away my favorite!

19. john179

john179 Active member

Thanks for that drchips much appreciated obviously you know your stuff.I myself is like Agent-k as this is the first pc i have built so i'm in the learning area.Agent-k obviously i will have to learn how to appreciate the finer sports.Obviously with Wales v England coming up we can have a little fun here mate.Should all Englands team come down with the flu you never know there could be then some sort of a result in it for you.Utd were playing Lyon and they played rubbish but a point away is better than nothing.

20. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

You know, Wales has had some of the best rugby players in the world, especially Rob Howley, whom I was talking to last week as he lives by me.
    They just never seem to be able to play the same game together.
    Rob Howley has an Athlon cpu. (That's my terrible attempt at pretending not to go off topic.) hehe.