1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI 9800 XT 256 iS WAY too HOT i think

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mowner, Oct 21, 2004.

1. mowner

mowner Guest

sup all i have the radeon 9800 xt 256 mb SAPPHIRE when i go to the CATALYST CONTROL CENTER i see 70 C for my vpu dont u think that is hot?? is 70 C normal for a GFX?? also there the overdrive feature in the CCC it overclocks my gfx to 413 mhz and it is originally 385 mhz for my card. what about if i enable overdrive will it get to 80 C??
    cheers

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

70C seems warm to me - if my CPU showed 70C I'd freak.
    But a vidcard? Still too warm...
    Pretty well any modern PC (which yours, Athlon64, sure qualifies) is really up against the wall for cooling.
    You need 120mm exhaust and 92mm intake fans, minimum, for your case.
    These little 60mm exhaust (or worse, none) are a joke.
    Just your harddisks and CPU are gonna give off a lotta heat.
    Add to that a hot Northbridge and a toasty GPU, all of a sudden you're running an Easy-Bake oven :)
    Your Radeon cannot shed its heat to the ambient, because the ambient inside your box is just too high.
    Go over your cooling carefully; ensure there is good cold-air intake to your box (it is not obstructed or whatever).
    I have my box raised up on four little pucks, to keep the intake up, out of the broadloom carpet.
    Round cables, internally, will help.
    A single 120mm Vantec Stealth exhaust fan will move 50CFM (at only 1800RPM - quiet!)
    That will completely change the air in your box, every 8 seconds or so...
    So, see what you can do (and, forget the Overdrive for now :)
    If your box is real hot, you'll squeak your beloved harddisks - so see what you can do.
    Regards

3. mowner

mowner Guest

hello..
    ogs my case is Thermaltake Xaser V WinGo V7000A it's features are :
    Features

2 Smart Fan fan speed control knobs in front panel & flash EL lamp

Retractable foot stands

X type window

Side panel security lock & 3-way front panel lock

Professional cooling system:
    Up to 3 90x90x25 mm, 1800rpm, 21dBA
    Up to 2 80x80x25 mm, 2050rpm, 21dBA, top & front

WinGo EL lamp with 3 way function inverter (on/off / flash / lighting)

it has 5 fans i think that is enough .... my CPU dont get 2 hot on a stock fan when idle it is like 30 C with load it is 40 or 43 maximun ... maybe those radeon get 2 hot...
    btw how can u know the ambient temperature of ur case?
    thx all.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]amd athlon 64 2800
    ati radeon 9800 XT 256 mb
    pioneer DVD-RW DVR-107D
    1 GB 3200 mb samsung 400 mhz
    512/128 adsl internet connection
    ASUS K8V motherboard
    120 GB MAXTOR SATA[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2004
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

on checking temperature inside your computer case, get a digital thermometer with a long wire probe(Radio Shack is where i got mine), stick probe into case & see what it reads after a while

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Sounds like you have some airflow mowner, that's good.
    But 70C even so, and your CPU temp actually nice and low?
    Your Radeon reports it is hotter than your CPU by miles...
    My GPU shows 42C, and VidRam 43C, with an ambient 36C at the moment. My CPU shows 50C now (and 60C easily, under stress).
    I think your Radeon cooler possibly sucks. If it is anything like my ABit Northbridge cooler + fan, it is junk (plastic crap).
    I replaced my Nbridge cooler with Zalman radiator, 6063T5 aluminum, Arctic Silver and no fan. Much cooler.
    You could re/re your GPU cooler with aftermarket, carefully installed w/ Arctic Silver, and lose 10C right away.
    70C is so hot, it may be hiding out from the airflow somehow. Combined with an ineffective cooler, you get way high temps.
    Get a better GPU cooler, with some of that cool air moving past it, and you should be good :)
    Asus PC Probe is also a very good thing to run - lots of useful info, incl ambient temp from mobo sensor.
    L8R