1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI Mobility Radeon X800 vs. nVIDIA GeForce Go 6800

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, Feb 21, 2005.

1. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I got a new notebook and I chose the ATI X800. Mainly because I've always got ATI and both are pretty much the same ... at least in the couple of reviews I read.

Was wondering what you all think of the two? Which would you choose and why?

And it's the cards w/ 256MB DDR 3.

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

The reviews I've read give the X800 a notch above NVIDIA and also a lower price point between the two. Both vendors always go back and forth with their "new and improved", and remember the price of the 9800 back when. So as of now, it's the best between the two and also less expensive.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  3. flip218

I've been going back and forth wondering if I chose the right card. I'm almost changed my order, but decided to stay w/ the X800. I don't think anyone will be disappointed w/ either card.

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Good luck either way.

I also see that you use Rambus on your PC. One of my PC's has an Intel D850EMV2 board with 512 PC800 Rambus memory and a 2.26 Intel CPU @ 533fsb. My board was one of the first to come out and maximum CPU for it is the 2.8, not the 3.06. It has been a good performer and rock solid too, never a problem! But the reason I am mentioning this is a funny fact when looking at my secondary channel for a DMA setting. It doesn’t show up with that info. I also believe that the Intel Application Accelerator software package that replaced the ATA drivers is the reason behind it. Do you use these drivers also and does your secondary channel also not show the DMA settings? Just curious. My other PC’s do show the DMA settings of course. Please let me know if you could. Thanks.

5. flip218

haha .... well today I changed my order :)

I decided to go with the 6800 Go. Most of the reviews I read gave the X800 better marks, but those tests were run against the 6800 Go w/ DDR 2 while the X800 was using DDR 3. The nVIDIA 6800 Go card I got has DDR3, so it should be better than what was tested before.

I ran into that same problem when I built my daughters pc. I used an ABIT Mobo. I thought the same thing. My Dell never came with the Intel App Accelerator, the ABIT board did (was one of the drivers). I uninstalled it, and now I can see both Primary and Secondary IDE channels in Advanced mode (to check the dma mode).

BTW ... PC runs just fine without it :)

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Thanks for the FYI on the Intel Application Accelerator. Good luck again on your Laptop!

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Nvidia have a better track record with drivers than ATI. My mate has a 6800GT, it truly rocks on Doom3 & HalfLife2 is awesome!