1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI Radeon problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lordking, Jan 18, 2007.

1. lordking

lordking Member

I have an ATI RADEON 9200 256MB 8X AGP VGA Card w/DVI, TV-Out graphic card on a windows xp with service pack 2. Well one day while playing half life 2 all the power in my house went out and this lasted for about 3 hours anyway, when i turned the computer back on or rather when it came back on everything seemed fine, except my computer could not find my graphic card. It was like it never existed, well this lasted for about 3 months then one day i turned off the computer and restarted it and the graphic card was back in like nothing happened. Well a week after that i noticed the screen was flicking in the lower right corner, so i changed the resolution and it seemed to fix the problem then all of a sudden the computer rebooted itself and the graphic card was missing again. Well i went to ati customer service and they said reinstall it so i did, but right when the drivers for ati are put in the computer hangs and shuts off. So after that i decided to clean install my computer and factory reboot it and the first time the cd didn't install the graphic drivers so i did so once i got the the owner site and right after i installed the ati driver the computer hung and shut off. After that i cleaned install it again and this time the cd installed the ati driver, but right after it did so, the computer shut off in the middle of installing windows. When the graphic driver is installed i can only get to the desktop by going into safe boot, if i login normally it hangs and shuts off. If i uninstall the driver and restart the computer it works without hanging. After which i contacted ATI again and they gave directions saying i should update the driver, i did so , but it did the exact same thing. Has anyone else had this problem or can someone help me, i want to know if there is a solution i can do, instead of taking it to the shop and pay a crazy amount of money to have them look at it and fix it, when it is something i could have did on my own. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. onya

onya Guest

To be honest it sounds like your PSU got a spike of electricity when the power was restored. By your quote, you left the pc "ON" during the blackout. This sudden surge could kill some voltage sensitive equipment (pc's..graphic cards etc). Personally speaking get your PSU looked at, it doesn't seem to be able to keep up.

Cheers.

3. lordking

lordking Member

yeah i will check that out, no i'm sorry i wrote it wrong once it shut down because of the outage i turned it off, until the power came on. When the power was restored i restarted the computer and noticed what happened.