1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attempting VCD, sync situation, nero vcd not playing

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by wrkinonit, May 31, 2004.

1. wrkinonit

wrkinonit Member

New to this, and asking for assistance. I'm having an audio/video sync situation which I gather from reading the forum here that may be due to frame dropout. Is this to be expected. I'm capturing through firewire from a Samsung minidv into a recently built pc w/1.8GH processor & 512ddr & windows XP. My cable is 4.5 meters (so close to the supposed length limit). Would a shorter cable make a difference? Dropout is about 150-300 for 36,000 frames which is about half of one percent. The segment is 19min long. My dvd writer came w/nero vision express 2se which is what I've been dabbling with but also have Ulead Video Studio which I will be looking into. Also, I used the nero to create a project w/menu, etc. Preview worked great, but once burned not playing on my Coby dvd standalone, nor through pc(unless I open the .dat files in the mpegav folder). I need some help as to how to best accomplish this task, and ways of eliminating/fixing the sync problem. thanks

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

There Should not be Any Frame Drops when Captureing from a DV Camera Via Firewire Because you are Not actually Captureing the Video you are Doing a Direct Transfer of the Data on the DV Tape to your Hard drive, so what is being captured is a Exact Duplicate of the Data Written to the DV tape in your Cam Corder...
    What are you Useing to Transfer the Video to your Hard drive??? Are you transfering the Video as DV AVI files, meaning after you have transfered the Video to your Hard drive is the File a DV AVI file??? If it is a DV AVI file it will have a .avi extention on the File and be about 5gb for 20 minutes....
    If you are captureing Properly to DV AVI then the Frame Dropps are caused from either you are not useing a Firewire Card/Port that is Meant for DV Transfer, Or you are captureing to the Same Drive your Operateing System is Installed on or too a Slow Hard drive.....
    It is recomended that you allways Capture your Video to a second Hard drive that doesn"t have your Operateing System installed on it or any Programs installed on it so you should have a second drive just for Captureing Video files and it should be Defragmented regularily...You should also be useing a Firewire Card that has been rated for DV Transfer....

Dropping 150 to 300 frames per 20 minutes of Video is Quite a Lot ,That will make the audio be out of sync 5 to 10 seconds...
    If these Frame Dropps happen on a consistant Basis Meaning say you drop a frame every 30 seconds on a regular basis and don"t drop a Lot of Frames at once then there is a Possibility that you can re-sync the audio in the Captured DV AVI file....
    This would entail seperateing the Audio from the video useing a process sometimes called "De-Multiplexing" or "De-Muxing" ,After seperateing the audio and Video into seperate Files you then compare the lengths of the 2 files ,The audio file will tend to be a few seconds Longer than the video and this is because the Video file is shorter because of the Dropped Frames ,So what you do is Write down the Exact Length of the Video file and then you use a good Audio editing Program Like "GoldWave" which has a Feature called "Time Warp" which allows you to Stretch or Shrink the Audio file to a New Length, so you just use this feature to shrink the audio file to the exact length as the Video file and then you Join the audio and Video files back into a DV AVI file and they should be In sync...
    This only works if the Frames have been dropped on a semi consistant basis......
    If you are Trying to create a VCD you should be useing a Good Quality Standalone Mpeg encoder to encode the Captured DV AVI file to Mpeg1/VCD and NEVER use "Nero" to Encode your files to Mpeg1/VCD because it uses one of the Worst Quality Mpeg encoders ever created, Useing an encoder Like "Tmpgenc" or the "MainConcept Encoder" to encode your Files to Mpeg1/VCD and then you can use Nero to Just Burn the Mpeg1 file to CD-R as a VCD.....

You can also Put VCD Files on to DVD the only differance between a VCD and the SIF DVD Standard is that the audio on DVD"s has to be 48000hz so if you Make a VCD useing a Good encoder But encode the audio to 48000hz instead of 44100hz then you can put the files on to DVD.......

So I suggest you get a Hard drive for Video capture and a Firewire Card rated for DV Capture and use proper DV AVI Capture Software and a Good Mpeg encoder then your Problems should be solved....good Luck

3. wrkinonit

wrkinonit Member

Minion,
    Thanks for all the info. Much of what you stated is making sense to me. I was trying the VCD method as I didn't have any DVD blanks at the time. I think I was transfering the data as DVD(?)if I recall which sounds like the wrong choice, I do recall experimenting w/the other encoding options of which there was DV(believe DV1, and DV2) one of them appeared to playback at a slower speed. I am using the only hard drive in the PC which of course is being shared by the operating system. On my dropouts(DVD?) I noticed there would be no dropouts for a while than starting at about 2600 or sometimes as late as 6000, frames would start to drop at regular intervals of 1 or 2 for every 100 or so (give or take), sometimes much more. Seems the DV(.AVI) selections was a lot smoother as you are suggesting. I'll try this again, and get hold of the Tmpgenc encoder. I will also look into installing a dedicated hard drive as well. I'll most likely be working w/DVD's now, so I am assuming I still bring in the data from my miniDV cam as DV (1 or 2?, is this choice associated w/the audio sampling rates you mentioned of 44100hz/48000hz?, hence the slower speed on playback?), which I encode to mpeg-2 (?) for creation of the DVD. If I recall I was able to add some .AVI files to my DVD project successfully. I was using Nero, and the problem I had there is that my text titles (for the different title buttons, header, and footer on main menu)weren't appearing on the finished product, although it looked fine in the preview. Can the font selection cause such a problem? Thanks again, I'll get it yet!

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member