1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATTENTION! Think Twice before buying a HD dvd addon!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by azndrake, Mar 24, 2007.

1. azndrake

azndrake Member

If Blu-ray Wins Microsoft Will Support It:

Read more:
    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15568

Just incase blueray does win the format war (highly doubt there will be a winner tho) your hd-dvd addons will be useless.

2. reprazent

reprazent Regular member

I don't think there will be a winner at all.

In the end, I think players will play both media. And I think it's rather smart from MS not to include any built-in drive atm, at least we get to choose.

3. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

and i seriously doubt that microsoft will resort to blueray, just something else they will have to make a new drive for, and when they have to sell a different 200 dollar drive, then thats going to make more people angry, they arent here to make people mad, but instead to satisfy

4. Sonysoft

Sonysoft Member

i dont need to worry...i cant afford a hdtv

:runs away and cries:

5. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

haha, i dont have an HD tv but i love my 19 inch LCD monitor, i play in hd with the vga cables, and its awesome, i love it

6. jeray

jeray Regular member

at least they are not against the idea of having a blue ray add on.i doubt sony would ever have a hd add on.

7. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

i seriously doubt that is legit, not questioning azndrake or anything, but why would MS sell a TWO HUNDRED dollar piece of equipment just to turn around and have to try and sell something else??

8. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

lol rofl lol same here.

im wondering if a normal lcd is hd or something? im looking to get a lcd cheap and big and good for pc and 360. i think ill need an adapter unless it has tv tuner built into it. k what should i look into?

9. azndrake

azndrake Member

This information did not come from my mouth, it came from :
    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15568

They also stated that Neil Thompson U.K., head of Xbox said this to bbc news:

AGAIN this information was not made up it was from the site!!

10. navsav

navsav Regular member

I was going to buy the hd add on but I decided I would rather wait. With all the gaming I am doing I don't want to stress the xbox by also playing movies on it. I think I am better off and wait for a cheaper standalone blu-ray or hd player to come out in say another year or so.

11. handsom

handsom Regular member

I have a 42" HDTV, 6.1 surround sound, and a little 500w subwoofer... All hooked up for maximum quality with my 360... And yet, I have no interest in getting an HD-DVD(or blu-ray) expansion for mine...

Go figure.

12. Savior86

Savior86 Guest

Don't get me wrong, I love XBOX 360... but Playstation 3 is better all around. Graphics, controller, sound, hardware, networking (its FREE for God's sake), and a big plus; its quit unlike the twin turbo jet engine thats installed in EVERY XBOX 360. Oh and did I mention... a FREE Blue Ray player!?

13. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

The main advantage for getting the HD-DVD add-on, as most of you have stated, is if you have a high-def LCD and a system that can handle it. If you're like me and want everything to look picture perfect on your 42" LCD, then the HD-DVD add-on is a must! Any other high-def DVD player is minimum $500 ... this is only $200, cheaper on ebay. You can then watch hd-dvd movies, which are incredible looking by the way, but the main advantage is that when you play a regular DVD on a regular DVD player, it looks like crap - it is only 480i, 480p if it supports progressive scan, and even still it looks just ok. If you get the HD-DVD add-on and the VGA cable, you can watch your old DVD's in a new way - upscaled 1080i (or whatever format you want) .... and they DO look incredible! The $200 add-on is WELL worth it. And no, it does not stress out your xbox - aside from having it on - it plays in a separate player, not damaging your laser for games.

14. Thoatih12

Thoatih12 Regular member

i got news for you the Blue-ray is not a FREE player thats why you pay 600$ for the systems...sony makes you get it..(thats why i think the HD-DVD is a good idea for a add-on so i have a choice weither to watch HD-DVD or not).personally i hate the ps3 controller its uncomfortable to me..the joy sticks are to close and it hurt my hands after a while..it is a powerful system but i think sonys retarded:)with what they did to it...forcing Blue-ray was not cool...thats all my thoughts..

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  15. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

yeah sony is ruining their self, they nearly ruined themselves when ps2 came out and had so many problems, but now they are pushing too heavy of a price tag for a console who's potential hasnt even been unleashed yet, but at the same time i think both consoles in the coming years will grow and we will see great advancements in them, but 600 bucks for something that is just big and doesnt even look good, is just a rip to me

16. Thoatih12

Thoatih12 Regular member

Both systems will be great in the coming years agree Butttt....600$ is a heafty price tag...but i think sonys being stubburn by putting blue-ray as the ps3 format...that was a biggg move by them its not even a proven format...and is very expensive to put in there system...this is why microsoft does not have the HD-DVD drive as there main format or in there systmes..just in case the HD-DVD does not make it..hense thats why its a addon...soo if HD-DVD dies they just make a Blue-ray addon simple:) but i do not think this format war thing will be over soon it will prolly take a while before High Definition TV is in the main market...I think sony should have stuck with Dvds for now to keep system cheap..then on the next generation platform they made they could have put blue-ray into it when it has proven itself then...well thats all i got to say for now! haha have a nice day!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  17. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Ruining themselves? I couldn't disagree with you more, but that is your opinion.

18. gosavi

gosavi Member

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will both be obsolete within 2yrs.

Streaming/Downloading Hi-def content over inexpensive broadband access direct to your media center enabled pc/xbox to your TV is where we are headed.

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

mikeismad, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP.
    2. An image-only signature should be less than 50kb in size, and be at most 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall.
    4. If you want to use both text and image in your signature the image should not be more than 500 pixels wide and 100 pixels tall, and you can use up to three lines of text.

20. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

Gosavi, in response to your not so prophetic prediction, I don't think DVD's will be gone for at least 10 more years, like I said - at least - Blockbuster still hasn't gotten rid of VHS tapes, and many people still even listen to cassette tapes, alot of times because they don't want to change, they don't know the new technology, they are scared to learn, or, as with most folks, they literally can't afford it, so they stick with what they have. VHS still isn't fully obsolete and DVD's have been mainstream for 10+ years now ... its going to take a long time before many people can actually download high-def movies ... I think that only around 40% of the USA has a broadband connection ... and even at that, with me for instance, I live in a little mountain valley, maybe you've heard of it, Aspen, and they still don't have more than a 7mb connection with 1.2MB (note the differences in mb & MB - mega bits [1024 bits] MB= Mega Bytes [8 x 1024 bits]) burst downloads for comcast broadband ... Qwest DSL only downloads at 500 - 700kbps - do you know how long it takes me to download 1gb? Forever! And on top of that, there's plenty of people in just this valley who can't even get high speed - unless they get the very unreliable satellite connection ... And this is only in this valley! Imagine the rest of the world!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007