1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio CD-R(W)

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Praetor, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

What is it exactly that makes a disc to be read my a discman/stereo? Or is it some chip in the player? I ask because my Discman (a now discontinued, Panasonic SL-SW880 with VMSS) can read CDR discs but cant read CDRW discs. Does it have anything to do with the Multispeed thing about CDRW discs?

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

A CD-RW media has much lower reflectivity than a CD-R disc, so the optics of a player must be CD-RW compliant.

3. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

Probably wont get that much attention in this thread but...

Would a decent CDR have a lot more reflectivity than a completely sh1te one, or is the difference negligable?

And does this mean that, in theory, a player that plays CDRW's would play all manner of CDR's, no matter how duff? Because that matches my findings :)

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Well, there are (DVD) players that play CD-RW, but do not play CD-R. This is however due that the manufacturer has blocked CD-R usage on purpose, IMHO.

I am not sure how the RW playback works. My educated guess is that the optics might focus differently when a RW is interested, or use different laser beam power, etc. But CD-Rs are handled as original pressed CDs, so perhaps a player still might stutter with CD-R playback, even though it would be CD-RW compatible.

Any hardware experts to comment on this?

5. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

That theory is logical, except for the manufacturer's blocking the use of CDR's and then purposely putting circuitry to adjust the laser upon detecting a CDRW :)

Does anyone really have problems with CDR's in DVD players? I've never known it. 99% of DVD players are MP3 players (of sorts*) as well - MP3's must end up on CDR's, I guess.

* Mine works well, but some dont do VBR or anything else not STEREO 128KBPS 0WNS YOOO!!!1

Well, I guess the data rate of an entire film is loads higher than just an Audio Track... <ramble ramble>

6. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Off-topic: Usually CBR 256kbps Stereo is ok for the non-complian MP3/DVD players. If 128kbps REALLY has to be used, then Joint-Stereo should be preferred.

7. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

Even further off topic: Which, with the pop music of nowadays, equates to the same thing. 128kbps per each channel in the stereo option to give 256kbps; or 128kbps spread across both channels with the joint stereo -- means ~the same if the trash is virtually in mono ;)