1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio compression in VirtualDub at 24kHz and below?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by gaest, Sep 14, 2004.

1. gaest

gaest Member

I have an .avi that I've resized using AviSynth, and am trying to compress in VirtualDub back into a manageable .avi size. The video compression works just fine, but when I try to compress the audio, the only options that are available for the MPEG Layer-3 are for 24kHz and below. The original .avi file, according to GSpot, has MP3 audio with stereo 48kHz at 128 kb/s, which is how I'd like to recompress it.

Is there something I'm missing, some codec that's required to allow me to recompress it back to 48kHz? GSpot declares I have all the codecs installed that are necessary, so shouldn't I be allowed to compress it again?

2. gaest

gaest Member

Well, nevermind. After scouring the internet, I found the answer on my own. :)

If anyone else has this problem, it's because you don't have the professional version of Fraunhofer's mp3 codec. My computer, which is an older model, only had the advanced version (l3codeca.acm), which, while reading up to 128kb/s, will only encode up to 56kb/s. The l3codecp version will read and encode 128kb/s.

I guess the newer computers probably come with the professional codec automatically, though.