1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audio confusion

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by kingevil, Oct 9, 2012.

1. kingevil

kingevil Member

so, i have a movie in avi format. when i look at the file properties it shows '2 channel.' when i burn it to a dvd and play it on my dvd player, the dvd audio menu also shows it as 2 channels. however, when i listen to the movie, it is clearly surround sound (5.1). i'm not an expert in digital movies and was wondering if this is correct? why would a movie file show as being 2 channel sound and play as 5.1? thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Demux the audio and stick it in an audio editor and see how many channels it has.

3. hello_hello

hello_hello Member

Dobly Pro-Logic uses a method of encoding surround sound information into a stereo audio track. It's not uncommon for conversion programs to convert discreet 5.1ch audio to Dolby Pro-Logic, even when converting to MP3. The quality of the surround sound may not be terrific, but it sounds like your AVI audio track uses Dolby Pro-Logic which is then being decoded to surround sound by your player.