1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audio lag

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by sparks155, Apr 27, 2005.

1. sparks155

sparks155 Member

hi new this dvd burning and i have a problem i've converted an avi file with cucusoft avi to dvd,vcd etc when it has finished i play the mpeg file and the audio lags about 3 seconds behind, i try to copy it to dvd with ifoedit and it still lags on my home dvd player

any advice would help thanx

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

It's a common error. There are 2 reasons for its existence:

- the original audio stream was extracted from an AC3 audio stream which was deleyed of a constant factor with respect to the video.
    - the MP3 audio stream was encoded VBR. The audio stream of the mpeg will more and more out-of-sync from the video , since MPEG-1 are CBR.
    You must detect which kind of error you have.

If you notice a constant delay, re-encode the original AVI audio stream (e.g. with HeadAC3he) adding a constant delay (e.g. 3000 ms).
    If the audio stream becomes more and more out-of-sync, you must uncompress the MP3 audio stream (load the AVI with VirtualDub, set Audio = full processing mode and do File__Save WAV).
    After doing that you either load that WAV as 'audio input' with your converter (instead of the AVI's sound) or insert it in a 'temporary' AVI file (which will be BIG, since you are inserting an uncompressed WAV audio stream) with VirtualDubMod (open the old AVI, set Video on Direct Stream Copy , do Stream__Stream List, Disable the old stream and Add the new stream; after that, click Ok and Save (F7)). Probably WAV is accepted; if not, you'll have to encode that WAV stream to MP3 with HeadAC3He being careful, in the options (click twice the 'options' button, sfter you loaded the WAV and selected MP3 as encoding type), to choose 'CBR' in the MP3 ancoding mode.
    Usually

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  3. sparks155

sparks155 Member

sorry is there any idoit proof programs i could use as i'm a bit of a div, i've writen in some posts before and every reply i get just makes me more comfused. if someone could give me a step by step on the subject it would probably help.

thanks if you can help