1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Languages on DVD-/+ R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by SadJoker, Mar 1, 2005.

1. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Ive been debating the topic of having too many audio languages on a DVD-/+ R (DVDR for conveince sake) can lead to Video quality becoming degraded with another user from another forum.

Lemme explain the debate : user Im debating the issue with pisses and moans that all the DVDRs he dls off BT never have his langauge audio or subtitles included.. Now my arguement is that a DVDR can only hold so much data (video + audio) and that when you rip a DVD even a DVD5, you often still have to remove some language audio and subtitle sets in order to fit onto a DVD-R/DVD+R disc.

Now my question is, just how many language tracks can be left included on a DVD rip before the video quality starts to become effected ie reencoded or downsampled (why anyone would sarfice video quality for a stoopid language / subitlte set is beyond me but anyway)

Also , when a person dls a DVDR from the Net/ftp wherever, that DVDR came from a rls grp.. what is kept and what isnt is upto that grp and is also still bound be the size limtations of the DVDR discs themselfs..

So any info that would helpful in ending this debate would be much appreicated! and oh yea, apologies in advance for bringing up the pircay bit

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

as you say what do you want for nothing!

and yes a release group will probably only keep the film and NO SUBTITLES! as it all comes down to size of file! there arnt many dvd downloads in vob format its too big! they make avi or divx xvid as its the size of a cdr and not like dvd a dvd5 size say.

they rip to the max even with software things that you can loose for size they loose stat!

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

here is another stupid question, and I in no way condone this what so ever, But why waste your time in "illegally" downloading a movie which is surely a much worse quality than going out and renting a copy of the movie and backing it up (which is also illegal)? If your going to break the law anyway then why not get the best quality possible? By the way I'm sure "They" can track someone downloading a movie off the internet. :) I wouldnt know what format a downloaded movie can be downloaded in but I highly doubt it would be in the .VOB format. More than likely these are in some sort of AVI (DivX, Mpeg, WMV, RMV ect.) So the quality is really going to be questionable so the whole debate about downloaded movies is pointless anyway because your getting what you pay for I guess, and you are ushually stuck with what ever audio the original was reauthored to. Once again I doubt that they would put multiple audio tracks on the downloaded movie. If they did they are idiot's!

4. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

thanks for the replies so far guys/gals.. Im going keep researching this cause now its got me thinking about the quality of my dvd backups that I left several language sets intact on..

and on a sidenote w/o crossing over into the realm of a full piracy discussion : many DVDs you can dl off the Net come in IMG or ISO format and then RARRED (compacted) broken in 90 to 100 seperate archives.. rls grps dont rls in .vob format cause as its been said : their huge plus if one gets skewed its hard to figure out which one is causing the problem

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i did see million dollar baby in 2 gig of rar files the other day,, thats a vob format i would say, been compressed though first before rar...

it would take a while to get that sucker in? 2 gig!