1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio made worse after multiplexing

Discussion in 'Audio' started by vincevega12, Mar 28, 2012.

1. vincevega12

vincevega12 Member

Ok there is a lot of background information but I will try to say everything as straightforward as possible.

Long story short: When I take my old Video file and my new audio file with NR and create a new file the audio gets all hissy again...

Alright, I shot a "tutorial"/"advert" on a Canon 5D mark ii, I used my external boom/shotgun (3.5mm jack) electret condenser super unidirectional mic for audio.

That always gives me a terrible hissing sound in the footage. I've used every program out there and for my specific problem Adobe Audition works best. I can put headphones in and have the voice at a comfortable level and if I didn't know there was a hiss before I wouldn't have been the wiser.

Perfect? Yes? NO...

I have my original .mov video/audio file and my new, clean sounding, audio file I exported from Audition (.mp3 or .wav)

So I decide to mux them together as opposed to loading them into premiere pro or sony vegas to replace the audio and then go ahead and render a new whole video.

Long story short: When I take my old Video file and my new audio file with NR and create a new file the audio gets all hissy again...

If someone knows a good alternative program or a better suggestion..anything, please give me a hand. I just want something easy, should I just go with using premiere or vegas and just render a clean video every time?

I have samples of all of this if it may help to hear what is exactly going on.

Thank you everyone.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. Mez

Mez Active member

You probably created artifacts. You will need to convert the files differently. Different tools, convert to some other file type. Did the wav and mp3 sound the same?

3. vincevega12

vincevega12 Member

Yes before I muxed them together they sounded identical and after I did the muxing they sounded awful.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

I don't pretend to know how artifacts are made. I do know from experience good tools rarely make artifacts poor tools make artifacts more often. Even with the best tools, artifacts can be made. I discovered for instance, splitting an album into tracks in an ape format then converting the tracks to mp3 produced artifacts but if I converted the album to mp3 then cut the tracks no artifacts were made. The splitting should not have affected the sound at all because it was a simple cut and the audio was 'not effected'.

Artifacts can be so loud they hurt your ears.