1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio missing on burned DVD-r

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by masucci, Feb 8, 2007.

1. masucci

masucci Member

I am trying to burn a couple avi files to dvd with nero 7 ultra. When i run the avi file in windows media player I do not get any audio. When I use the nero video player I CAN hear the audio. I burned the avi files to a dvd with nero and I get no audio just like when I play it on WM. Anyone know what I could be doing wrong? All my other avis have audio in WM and when I burn them. Just not this particular set of files. I wasted 3 dvds trying different things and it is starting to get expensive. Please help

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

First, I suppose, you need to make sure none of the volume controls on your mixer panel are turned down. Double click the speaker icon and check, especially the wave one.

I had a video the other day I ended up having to download an AC3 codec to hear sound, but you might try downloading GSpot and letting the file look at it to see if it needs any codecs.

There is a quick start guide for newbies on the site.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/index.html

3. masucci

masucci Member

Thanks but i have been burning a long time and have never had this problem. I burn avis all the time. This is strange though. The sound works in nero's player but not on WM or on any stand alone dvd player.

4. masucci

masucci Member

I tried that gspot thing and it said i had the codecs

5. masucci

masucci Member

I really need to know what the difference is between Nero Showtime and Windows Media Player. Since Showtime has no problem playing the avi file with full sound but media player and my home dvd player (once burned) only show video without any sound. If someone can give me a general ida of the inherent differences in the programs themselves and how they play the file I may be able to figure this out. THis is really making me mad. Like I said, I have burned 100s of avi files to dvd and had no problem, just this one.

The files are season one of the sopranos. Someone lost my disc one and I found a backup avi online. I emailed hbo and they said there shouldnt be any copyright protections that would cause that. They are now offering me the whole set at a lower rate but I refuse to rebuy the whole thing when I am only missing 1 dvd.

I am not very familiar with ripping dvds. Are there any settings during the rip process that could have caused this? If so I still cannot understand why Showtime has no problem but the others do.

6. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

When you use GSpot, I believe on the bottom left there are some buttons that allow you to play the video. You have two selections, and one is MS. If you click the top button, it will get ready to play the file and the next button will play it. If MS can't play the file, it will show an error message, and should show which audio codec is missing.

Maybe you need to install the entire WMP codec scheme. If you go to Microsoft and search for codec, there is a lot of information.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007