1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audio problems with ac3

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by dru987, Nov 3, 2004.

1. dru987

dru987 Member

i found a guide on this forum for encoding avi to mpg for vcd. the guide says to use virtualdubmod to extract the audio but there is no audio option on the menu. if i try and use virtualdub i get a audio decompress error. the audio is ac3 and i have all the codecs to play the movie perfectly. what could i use to extract the audio from this file?

2. manyone

manyone Member

have you tried videopak from stoik.com? i run it to convert avi to avi but there's an option to select compression methods for output. for video, i usually pick divx 5.x.x, and for audio, i usually pick PCM. if i'm lucky, i can usually run virtualdub against the output file of above and demux it into its avi and wav components. good luck.

3. dru987

dru987 Member

thanks for the relpy manyone, i found that you can use nandub to extract the audio if you select direct stream copy, then save as wav and rename the file to ac3. next i used BeSliced to fix the headers of the ac3 file. then i used some other random program called PX3 to convert the ac3 to wav. now i was able to convert using TMPGENC. however, the final result was disapointing. the quality was much lower on the encoded version. this process wasn't very effective but it works