1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio quality

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by art191, Apr 8, 2005.

1. art191

art191 Member

I've just successfully burned my first DVD backup after browsing the threads and finding ScubaPete's excellent idiot's guide to burning with Shrink and Decrypter. Before finding this my first effort produced a coaster!
    I selected AC3 audio only, after reading another guide, but have noticed that the audio quality when played on my JVC standalone player is inferior to the original. This is a music DVD so this is a factor. I don't mind sacrificing some picture quality to improve audio quality in this particular case.
    Obviously LPCM audio must be of a better quality (it certainly takes up far more space); is there any way of telling which audio channel my standalone player is reading on the original dvd, AC3 LPCM or DTS? Or must I experiment to see which produces the best results for me? Unfortunately my standalone does not appear to read re-writables.

Sorry if this is maybe going over old ground but I'm very much a newbie at this.

2. art191

art191 Member

Anyone?

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

DTS is supposedly better than AC3, but I've never heard of the other one you mentioned.

Try the manual for your standalone to see if it's compatible. If that doesn't say anything, I guess it's down to experimentation.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@art191 - LPCM Audio (Linear PCM) offers an alternative uncompressed audio format that is similar to CD audio, but with higher sampling frequencies and quantisations. (i just googled for that from http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/dvdvideo/dvdvid_audenc.htm).
    I have only come across LPCM before when copying (non-music) dvd's or converted AVI or MPEG dvds. That's odd if AC3 sounds inferior as the audio tracks are not altered when you copy, they're copied exactly the same as the original.
    When you say 'LPCM certainly takes up far more space' is that purely because it's primarily a music dvd as opposed to a normal movie dvd ?. Any discs i've done with LPCM (can't even remember any names of titles i'd done) didn't have a larger than normal size that i recall. Sorry i haven't copied any of my proper concert dvds yet and i don't think i'm wording my reply clearly enough !

hopefully you get the gist of what i'm asking :)

Got nothing extra to add to squizzle's reply, other than play the disc thru something like powerdvd and see if you can differentiate the audio channels.

5. syeberman

syeberman Member

Hi guys,

LPCM is the original audio format used on laserdiscs, remember them big old things. LOL

The codec is widely used on European and Australasian music dvds. The format is non-compressive, but only 2 channel (4 if surround encoded). If you have DTS, or AC3 decoding amps use these formats for channel separation, otherwise LPCM is far superior in quality if you are not choosy about multiple channels or file size.

Jon.

6. art191

art191 Member

Thanks, guess I will just have to do a test to see which produces the more acceptable audio in this instance. I can see that AC3 would be more than adequate for a film, where the main thing is dialogue, but as I am dealing with a music concert dvd then maybe it's worth trying the less lossy formats. I'll try contacting JVC to see which formats the player reads, the manual is no help.