1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio shrinking software query

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Rwil, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Rwil

Rwil Guest

Being a bit new to this I'm probably asking a dumb question. sorry if this is the case! I want to know if there is a program/tool available to allow me to "shrink" large audio files onto one CD. I'm mostly interested in being able to fit audiobooks onto one disc that would otherwise need burning onto many. As I said I'm very new to this so please humour me and if anyone can help I'd be grateful. Thanks

2. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

If you have an MP3 compatible CD player then yes. You can easily get 20 to 1 compression without sacrificing voice quality. If your CD player only plays audio CD then no, unless you 'speed up' the audio (and if you go much more than 10% expect them to sound like chipmunks).
    PS: most DVD players can play MP3 CDs.

3. undine

undine Regular member

If your player can play mp3 format,you could put 10 to 20 times as much on the cd as compared to a normal audio cd.

4. Rwil

Rwil Guest

Thanks to both of you for that. Unfortunately my CD player does not handle MP3's. I have a DVD player that does but I mostly listen to this sort of thing in car so I guess I'm a bit stuck. I have a number of audio books the largest of which has 24 episodes of just over an hour each. Am I right in thinking that the length of time of eash episode is more relevant than the actual file size? I could simply burn these to cd individually and would have no problem with this. really just wanted to find a way to fit 2 or maybe 3 episodes on a cd instead of just one. Thanks anyway, any further suggestions/guidance appreciated

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

The problem is that audio CDs have a fixed bitrate. This means they'll always create the same file size for a given length.

Your best bet might be to get some kind of cheap USB drive based MP3 player and an FM transmitter to listen to it on your car stereo. Normally this might not be worth the effort because of the relatively low sound quality from the transmitter, but since they're audio books instead of music it should be acceptable.

6. Rwil

Rwil Guest

Thanks Vurbal.I reckon I'll have to invest in a new car stereo and burn the discs as mp3's. Thanks to everyone for the help/suggestions.