1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Static,

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by DXR88, Mar 20, 2013.

1. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

In all my years of working on computers this one is starting to make me go mad.
    here's what i'm trying to figure out.

about a week ago im playing in a BF3 skrim match and all of a sudden i get this horrible static sound (like an FM transmitter is out of range) coming from my headset. i think nothing of it at the time so i just switched audio sources.

2 days ago i popped in my LOTR trilogy DVD and 30 minutes into the movie. this time on a completely different audio source the same exact thing happens. i can still hear the audio from the source but it riddled in static and its happening more and more rapidly.

Any Idea's or solutions you may have run across with similar situation would be great.

So far i've narrowed it down to something with the hardware. Linux also suffers from the same issue, it seems to recover but then immediately becomes more static'e. windows remains constant with the static until you restart the audio source then its fine for X minutes. the problem occurs more frequently in Mult-Channel audio sources the Center always seems to be the first to go followed by the rear, then side, then front..thankfully the sub isn't affected. ive done Virus Scans, and im clean aside from a false positive, which i know what it is.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

are all the noises coming thru just the head phones or also thru the speakers?

3. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

Both My Audigy 2 ZS and my USB Headset are affected. ive also checked for conflicts, as far as i can tell there are none.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  4. ddp

are they using the same sound card?

5. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

No.

6. ddp

what is the source for audio for the usb headphones?

7. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

The source doesnt matter, it started with the headphones during BF3 but the same thing happened with the Audigy 2 watching LoTR. it happens with any source it doesn't matter if its MP3's a movie or games it just happens faster for movies and games. Im going to check my memory tonight i'll post the results tomorrow.

8. ddp

the Audigy 2 is also the source for the usb headphones. i presume the Audigy 2 is a pci card & not part of the motherboard. if not part of the motherboard then does the motherboard have onboard soundcard? trying to see if the Audigy 2 is the problem or not. look at the can shaped capacitors on the motherboard that they are not domed nor leaking brown stuff.

9. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

The USB headphones have there own built in CMedia audio card. I've already discovered and fixed the issue however. it seems micro stuttering was the cause, I've since lowered my OC timing for memory and everything's working proper....for now anyway.