1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audio sync problem using nero vision express 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Vectra, Jan 12, 2006.

1. zebulin

zebulin Guest

So when you remove the decoder does windows automatically substitute some other app for the task or what? What exactly does the decoder do?

2. blarter

blarter Member

Not sure what nero uses instead but afterwards i made a dvd with 5 episodes of a tv program which started off as avi's and they were all fine.

3. tcharp

tcharp Member

I guess I am not figuring out what that little program does for me. Can someone help me out on that?

Thanks,
    -TC

4. bishpop

bishpop Member

bananaT i owe you a beer. i've been looking for a solution to my audio sync issues for a (short) while now, and yours is the first one to work for me - just had to join up and say thanks!

no idea where i am, and probably won't be back, but really appreciate your help.

5. albundy1

albundy1 Member

I have been trying to convert 3 episodes of Lost onto DVD & I also have the audio sync problem. I have tried all of the solutions described in this thread & none of them work for me, but I have found a solution which works perfect for me. I installed Nero Vision Express version 2.1.2.18, I downloaded it from this page http://download.zdnet.co.kr/pds/index.html?searchValue=nero+vision&x=18&y=4&&page=2
    Dont worry if you cant read Korean, its fairly straightforward to donload. It does the same job as Nero Vision Express 3 with all the menus etc. except it takes a little longer to convert the avi's. What I did was to convert them as normal but rather than burning it straight to disc, I wrote it to the C: drive first, then ran the resulting files through DVD shrink and Voila, a perfect copy with no audio sync. I hope this works for others as well.

6. albundy1

albundy1 Member

7. newboymat

newboymat Guest

hello everyone,

i have not posted in this forum for a long time, months and months,, yet i am still getting e mails to say that people are still adding to it.. i had this issue last year when i posted, was trying to burn episodes 6-10 of lost season 2 and was getting audio issues using nero.

i tried lots of things till someone else recommended using a program called vso convert x to dvd. it worked first time.
    5 episodes on one disc with a simple menu. all in synch..
    has anyone else tried this? particularly the people saying, i've tried everything? ?

it worked for me, and i have not looked back since. burnt episodes 6-10 of season 3 like this last week and still all good...

the only other thing i did around the same time, was download a codec pack also, which i think was the full k lite codec pack..
    i'm sure it wasnt this, because nero still screws them up, but just thought id mention it.

in answer to some peoples questions, about why only tv series and not films that have the sych issues, i believe it says somewhere near the beginning of the thread, i cant remember what it is, maybe fps or something, but that is why its only the tv shows,,

please, someone try vso and post the results, maybe its a fix for everyone maybe not, but someone else has to try it!!

goodluck to everyone, i know how frustrated you all are..

8. albundy1

albundy1 Member

Thanks for that newboymat, I was reluctant to try this program before, as its one that you need to pay for, but if you look hard enough, you can get it for free like I did. The program worked for me 100%, no audio sync problems, & is much faster (about 2 hours for 3 episodes of Lost) than using Nero Vision Express 2 (about 5 hours for the same 3 episodes) as described in my last post. Try it, it really does solve the sync problem & it is very straightforward.

9. snoutmeat

snoutmeat Member

I know this is an age-old thread, but in the several days and numerous methods I've spent trying to fix the sync problem, this is one of the forums I discovered. I've come across a very simple (and logical) solution that seems to be working perfectly, so I thought I'd add it here for others who may be in my situation.

--The problem seems to only come up when trying to convert an XVID video with VBR audio into DVD format.

--the source of this audio sync problem seems to be Nero's codec, because the original XVID files play without any sync issues; it's only when transcoding from XVID with variable bitrate audio to DVD-compliant files (MPEG2) using Nero that the audio sync issues come up.

--the easiest fix? DISABLE NERO'S CODECS -- without the Nero codecs in place, the NeroVision software will default to the official XVID codec (assuming it's on your system), and the DVDs you burn will have perfect sync. No need to use any other software programs as an intermediate step -- just ditch the Nero codecs!

So -- two easy steps.

1) Is XVID installed on your machine? If not, go to the XVID website and install it. (xvid.org; no, I'm not affiliated with them; it's freeware)

2) Just rename

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeAudio2.ax (or NeAudio.ax) to OLDNeAudio2.ax (or OLDNeAudio.ax -- whichever one you have on your machine) and rename NeVideo.ax to OLDNeVideo.ax. Renaming the files will keep NeroVision from seeing them; if you want to restore the files later so Nero can see them again, just change them back to their original filenames.

I can't take credit for the fix -- I found it in another website's forum from a guy named Doogal4 -- but this is one of the forums I found when trying to Google for a fix, so I figured I should share the good news.

10. rhhosking

rhhosking Member

Thanks, Snout!

The procedure above worked perfectly on my recently purchased Nero Ultra 7 with Nero Vision 4.

Previously, in order to avoid Nero's severe audio/video sync problems, I had to first transcode my TV .avi files into VOB files using DVD FLICK (a good program for single program DVDs) and then put them together with menus with Nero Vision 4.

Now, I can do everything from within Nero Vision 4!

BTW, after all these many years and lots of complaints, Nero should finally get their act together and fix this major flaw -- the solution is so simple!

11. jgillila

jgillila Member

OK, I was rather excited to find what appears to be an actual fix for the Nero Vision sync problem. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me.

I've installed the latest Xvid codecs and I've renamed the two files referenced above. But when I use Nero Vision to convert my transport stream files to DVD format, the audio and video are still completely out of sync. In fact, the result is exactly the same as it was before I made the changes.

Any other ideas?

The only solution that I've found is to encode the audio as PCM stereo rather than using Dolby Digital. If I go with PCM audio, the sync is perfect. But some players really want to see a Dolby Digital audio track, so PCM is not an ideal solution. And besides, PCM won't work very well for a video that actually contains 5.1 audio.

12. snoutmeat

snoutmeat Member

Bummer. Sorry to hear that disabling Nero's codecs doesn't work for you. I don't know what to tell you -- it worked perfectly on two different machines of mine when nothing else worked.

13. jgillila

jgillila Member

And now that I examine the original file, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this change didn't help me. Your solution deals specifically with xvid files, and my video doesn't appear to use xvid at all. My source file is a standard HDTV transport stream file with MPEG2 video and AC3 audio.

Elementary Stream PID 17 (0x0011) MPEG-2 Video
    MPEG Video: Bitrate 38.810 Mbps Resolution 1920 x 1080i
    MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 16:9 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Elementary Stream PID 20 (0x0014) AC-3 Audio
    AC3: Bitrate 384 Kbps Sample Rate 48 KHz
    AC3: Mode complete main Coding 2/0 L, R
    Descriptor: ISO639 Language Descriptor
    Language: eng
    Audio type: undefined

I suspect that a comparable problem is at work here, but involving a different set of codecs.

14. snoutmeat

snoutmeat Member

Well...that's some sort of progress, at least. :)

It's been a while since I've had to think of this problem, but in the case of the XVID files, the problem was variable-rate MP3 for the audio, which may or may not be officially supported under the XVID standard. The error message that pops up when importing such a file into VirtualDub would indicate that VBR's not offically supported by XVID, which may help to explain why Nero's codecs don't work well with it.

I think you're on the right track -- there's something about your particular mix of audio and video encoding that Nero doesn't like. I'm wondering if the settings on your files include some similar deviation from the norm that Nero doesn't like. I don't know much about AC3 (does it support both VBR and CBR encoding?) From your specs, it appears that it's being recorded in CBR anyway (though I've seen this mis-reported on MP3 files before). If you're recording these files yourself, maybe you can tweak the audio quality setting to avoid this problem on future recordings. For the ones you have now, umm.....
    this is a shot in the dark, but there are a few more ".ax" folders in that directory that mention audio, like "NeAudioConv.ax". You could try renaming these (one at a time) -- no guarantees, but the process is easily reversible, so you're not risking anything.

15. jgillila

jgillila Member

Thanks for the consultation. I seem to have solved the problem, though not by tweaking the codecs. I went back through all of the Nero settings for the conversion and spotted something that concerned me. The detailed specs showed that Nero was using its "smart conversion" on the audio, but not on the video. "Smart Conversion" basically means that it won't do any conversion if the source format and the target format are the same. I turned off the Smart Conversion option so that it would recreate the audio using the same process as the video, and the result now is that both are in perfect sync. So, for my situation anyway, that's the answer.

That would also explain why it worked correctly with PCM audio. Since the original transport stream contained AC3 audio data, Nero could not have used Smart Conversion on it. So by telling it to go with PCM, I was forcing Nero to do a full conversion.

So it all makes sense, and I seem to have the result that I've been seeking.

Incidentally, in the meantime I also tried the DVD Flick open source application. It converted everything perfectly with no sync issues at all. However, it does not provide any mechanism for controlling where your chapter marks are placed on the DVD, so it is far less useful than Nero Vision.

I'm still in the process of burning the final DVD, but I'm optimistic that it will give me what I'm after this time.

Thanks again.

16. akadigger

akadigger Guest

Just wanted to say thanks Snoutmeat, your suggestion worked - sort of.
    I deactivated the Nero files and the avi to DVD conversion worked, no sync problems. But, Windows Media Player wouldn't play the files and even Nero couldn't load them. I went back and re-activated the Nero codecs and both WMPlayer and Nero dealt with them fine. Weird, but the work-around fixed the sync problem. Thanks again for the suggestion.

17. jimbo500

jimbo500 Guest

The Answer
    using nero 6, i too had the audio sync problem, but after reading 3 pages of 'answers', i was weary. following a lead from the stream, i found the nero video codec that was causing the problem, renamed the extension, and the problem vanished. i used a gspot tool that will display all the info on a particular video file, but will also display all installed video codecs and their pathes/names. armed w/ the knowledge that nero is goofing up and there being only one nero encoding video codec on my puter, i found and renamed it - voila no more problems.
    Nero Digital AVC Video Enc
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeNDVid.ax
    on MY computer, yours may be different!

jim :)

18. donkobes

donkobes Guest

I have had the out of sync problem with downloaded movies and have tried diabling the filters and the other suggestions without result. When I disabled the filers as suggested, I also disabled the application! Had to clean and reload.

I wrote Nero and after a week I got the reply below. Can someone translate this into some basic steps? Thank you!

"The problem is probably associated with the audio compression selected while generating the *.avi file.
    This file could very well be damaged. Individual frames can be damaged or even completely lost while recording (capturing) video files. Most of the time these faulty frames are not even noticeable during playback of the video file, but error messages or aborts can occur while transcoding.

Please install a version of DivX or XviD codec (a stable version of these codes can be found, for example, under www.doom9.org). Additionally, the installation of some Mjpeg Codec (such as Morgan Mjpeg) can prevent problems when editing *.avi files.
    Your *.avi file in all probability is a capture file. Reinstall the capture software with which you produced the *.avi file (in most cases that will be the software which came with your camera).

Your *.avi file could have an invalid VBR (Variable Bit Rate) MP3 audio track, which could lead to the complete loss of the audio track or to problems with synchronicity while transcoding. Check the audio settings which were in place when you recorded (captured). Choose CBR (Constant Bit Rate) when you use the MP3 format as the audio track.

The *.avi file should be build again. NeroVision Express or programs such as Virtual Dub can be used for this function.

Choose the following settings in NeroVision Express
    > Make DVD
    > DVD-Video
    > Add Video Files
    > Add the *.avi file to the burn compilation
    > Export
    > Choose export-template "user-specific"
    > File-type: AVI
    > Video compressor: any
    > Audio compressor: "PCM Wave" or no compression at all
    Use the export function and choose a stable compressor such as DivX or XviD.

Please choose the following setting if you are using the program Virtual Dub.
    > Video compression: "Direct Stream Copy"
    > Audio compression: "PCM Wave" or no compression at all

Now try to transcode and burn the newly prepared *.avi file with NeroVision Express.

Legal disclaimer:
    "Nero AG/Inc/KK is not liable for third-party programs or plug-ins in any way (as they are not offered by Nero). All third-party programs or plug-ins are performed at the users own risk. Nero will not be liable for the legality, performance, or possible consequences of third-party programs or plug-ins."

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again."

Don Kobes

19. pat200

pat200 Member

simple solution to audio sync problem.
    i used the suggestion made by jgallila, and dis-abled "smart conversion" for both audio & video in the config options. problem solved.