1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Video Problems.

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Crasoum, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Crasoum

Crasoum Member

Ok from what I've done I used the guilde http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm word by word, and when I got to using virtualdub to encode the divx, It did not.
    I have the Divx 5.02 PRO codex, installed, and it works splendidly.

I know it works because I used FlaskMPEG to encode the Divx initially, and I got a SPLENDID movie. With one problem. I had no sound.

So then I do a quick internet search and find that someone else had this problem, so I then went to that guild which was suggested afterwards to me.

I go through the guide and when I start encoding, it does not encode the Divx, it just puts down the sound. (Lame 160kbs MP3) And with the sound is a black box. In the same shape as the cropped video format that I was encoding.

So this means one of two things. My Divx codex doesn't work with virtualdub. Or I did something wrong.

I'm, thinking the ladder, but I don't know what. I followed the guide with percision, and doubled checked.

A thing I noticed is it says that it is encoding the video, but the output file is estimated to be 178mb in size (Aprox the same size as the MP3, which makes me think that is also why it is a codex problem)

But again I say, I have the codex installed, and I used it sucessfully to encode a flask file.

Thank you for your time in considering to read my long winded post...

2. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

for the past day or two I've been having some serious problems between divx 5.02 pro and virtual dub, at first no video then no sound. In virtual dub when you choose the compression does divx show up? If it does and still nothing I would remove all the divx programs from the machine, reboot and reinstall it. It sounds simple but it got my codec working, well, for video at least.

3. Crasoum

Crasoum Member

I did that and still no luck, but I was able to once more encode flawlessly in flask. :/
    I am unsure of what I'm doing wrong...

4. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

okay, checking back again, the only time I had that was when my codec was back. I don't mean to be redundant but did you uninstall the codec, reboot, install the codec, reboot? did you get the divx codec from the official site? Aside from that there is a program called GSpot which detects all video and audio codecs in a movie, you might want to try that to check the movie that's not working to see if it gives you details about what's wrong.

5. Crasoum

Crasoum Member

Well here was the problem
    Avi2DVD AND Virtural Dub were BOTH screwy, the versions the guild linked to, are NOT the versions I was able to use to actually encode.

First I used Smart Ripper 2.41
    DVD2AVI 1.76
    VFAPI Reader Codec 1.05 (making certian to run the Batch file included, otherwise it brings up errors in Virtural dub)
    CdDex 1.50 Beta 9
    And VirturalDub 1.4.9 Build 13720/Release By Averey Lee

Other versions may well work for this, but these are the versions I used, which worked best for me

I hope this helps others with simmiler problems. :)

As for installing the codex I actually did a few times, and always reboot between installs.

The Tip of the day is Encode something small, like a small home video clip, which is say 30 seconds long and has sound before you do anything big.

It will save MUCH time and energy
    (I saw this no where, and although this is common sence, you'd be suprised how many people (like me) forget to do this first and jump headlong into a 3 hour long family video)

6. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

I think it took me about 10-12 hours to figure to do the sample first =)

7. Crasoum

Crasoum Member

Heh heh exactly... That happens it seems, but it should be the first thing posted... like everywhere

8. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

I think I'll remind people that as I post, well, good luck!