1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Volume Lower on burned DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bigredbus, Jan 22, 2007.

1. bigredbus

bigredbus Member

Hello! I am neither a newbie nor a software expert. WHAT AM I DOING? I record movies and tv shows on DirecTv DVR. I then play them and record them on a DVD-RW disc. I then use DVD Decrypter to rip the video files into a specific folder on my HD. Later, I open up my MPEG-VCR program and use it to remove commercials. This software is frame-specific and works very well. The tv shows are usually 30 minute segments. I then use Nero Vision Express and make a DVD-VIDEO and burn it. PROLEM! When I play the disc, the audio has lost almost 30% of its volume!! The DVD RECORDER I use is a JVC DR-M100. I checked it out and it has no record volume control. If it did, I could raise the recorded volume to compensate. Can anyone help?

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

does your Directv DVR have a DVD recorder in it? All-in-one unit? How did you put the show on a DVD?

3. bigredbus

bigredbus Member

Hello. thanks for your response. I have a JVC DVD RECORDER DR-M100 and I access the show on my DirecTv DVR, play it and reford it on the JVC DVD RECORDER using DVD-RW media.Unfortunately this model DVD RECORDER doesn't have "record volume control" like other Professional models. If the show or movie has no commercials, I use DVD SHRINK's RE-AUTHOR MODE, set the start and stop frames and back it up without any loss of volume. I suspect it may be a problem with my MPEG-VCR program or my Nero Vision Express. I plan to uninstall both programs and re-install them with the default settings to see if it cures the problem. Thanks

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

if you are using an RW disk try using a different media. try a +R disk. here are some tips on Media:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

I think it's a media problem not a software problem. good luck.

5. bigredbus

bigredbus Member

IHoe...many thanks! You have provided me with valuable information which I will heed! Concerning Media, when I first began learning how to use my computer and its various parts I used IMATION Media. I switched to MAXELL, which is one recommended by Plextor. I have had "0" problems with this media...SO FAR! Your tips are reasonable and prudent and I thank you. Cheers!