1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Authored VOB files are too big for non-UDF system ?...

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by elkboy, May 23, 2003.

1. elkboy

elkboy Guest

I'm relatively new to DVD authoring/burning, but I've managed to create a good one using Nero Vision Express. The original AVI was 1 hour in DV quality and the result was 'burned' to my Hard Drive so I could inspect it before putting it on media. There were a total of 3 VTS-VOB files. 2 of them were 1,048MB and the last was about half of that. I burned the files to DVD using Burning ROM and it plays great in my stand-along player.

my next attempt was not so successful, and here's where I need some help...

Again, I had a single AVI file to transcode, so I used N.V.E. again. This time, however, I got one giant VTS-VOB file that is 4GB. This means that I can't use the regular DVD-Video settings in Burning ROM.... got to switch to UDF instead due to the 2GB limit for non-UDF. Problem is that my DVD player apparently won't read UDF disks...

My question is this... Why would Nero Vision turn a single, large AVI into 3 VTS-VOB files one day and then a giant file another day?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, suggestions, etc.

-Brian

2. sfgiants

sfgiants Member

I had the same problem with Nero Express when I tried to convert any .avi file larger the 650mb. I tried some different DVD Authoring software and found that the other software worked. I think that Nero Express is just an inferior DVD Authoring product. One of the other software packs I tried was Ulead DVD Workshop. Hope this helps.

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Nero is predominantly a burning software.
    I use it to burn , but you want to use Enterprise/Burning Rom instead of Express.

I wouldnt use Nero to re-encode .avi files myself , I'd try TMPGEnc

Then burn w/ Nero..___X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    I give you all these seed bearing plants & herbs to use...[/small]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2003
  4. sfgiants

sfgiants Member

Even if you use TMPGENC it only creates mpeg1 or 2 which still has to be converted to .vob files. I've found that Nero has problems even with mpeg files also.