1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto dvd backup while I'm sleeping??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Theswamp, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Theswamp

Theswamp Member

Howdy all. Another newbie here. I've managed to backup a couple of dvds so far, but it's been a cludgy process for me.

What I would like to do is have a setup where I can insert my source dvd and my blank dvd into my drives, run the software, go to bed, and wake up the next morning to a nicely backed up dvd. Will AnyDVD and CloneDVD-2 do this?

Thanks for your feedback!
    Ed

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

No, you will be required to do the following using this combo
    a. Insert original DVD into drive
    b. Allow Clone DVD rip the movie
    c. Insert blank DVD and then allow it to burn

Same process if you use Nero Recode/AnyDVD combo......not unless you have 2 drives (which I dont) and then it might be possible.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  3. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yeah it will work. do the process and put a check mark in the box that says Automatically shut down the computer when done and you have your backup done in the morning plus your PC will be shut down!

[​IMG]

edit: you have two drives right? transcode with one drive and burn in other drive and this works fine. I do it all the time

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  4. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

This is the clincher!!!

5. Theswamp

Theswamp Member

Thanks for the replies!

Well, I've cleared the first hurdle. :) Yes, I have a dvd burner and I've just installed a dvd player taken from a mothballed Dell. Both are working well.

I guess I'm getting too picky, but...does ANYDVD and CLONEDVD-2 have an option for ripping and burning *without* turning off the computer. I tend to lean toward the "light bulb blows when you flip the switch" camp. Plus I'm a bit impatient and hate to wait for the computer to boot up in the morning. :)

Thanks again!
    Ed

6. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Refer to picture two posts above yours. Simply un-check the checked box. And you're pc stays on!

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I like the batch mode in DVDRebuilder! I can set up 4 movies and batch them out while I am sleeping...... wake up in the morning and burn to disk! They are ready and waiting for me!

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

i think you're missing our point . as long as you have 2 drives use one drive to transcode with and the other drive to burn with you're set to rip and burn the movie in one step with or without the PC turning off

So hightlight the drive you AREN'T transcoding with, so below

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Besides AnyDVD + CloneDVD 2, there is the all in one program DVDFab Platinum that does the complete backup task. Still 2 drives needed. If you have a good system with the resources you can multi-task or simply walk away and let it go. AnyDVD + Recode is another setup that comes to mind, and AnyDVD + DVDCopy 5 or AnyDVD + Corel's DVD Copy 6 Plus, or even the venerable DVD Shrink with AnyDVD using one of the DVD Shrink supported burners (VSO's CopyToDVD, DVD Decrypter, and Nero). Note: Don't try to use Nero 8 for an auto burn with Shrink.

As Ihoe mentioned, RB does a good job with batch files. The catch is that you have to have the source files ripped to the HD. It's possible to do a backup from an optical drive with RB and autoburn with ImgBurn. However, for the time involved and the burden it places on a DVD drive, I don't recommend it. The program is best used with source files on the HD. If doing a single movie, rip to the HD and open the files in RB, select burn with ImgBurn, put a DVD in the burner and you can walk away. Only one drive is required for this process. As mentioned you can set up a batch job to do a bunch of backups, but that requires saving the output to HD and burning them off manually.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007