1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avast, avg, or anti vir?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by jztplayn, Mar 20, 2005.

1. jztplayn

jztplayn Member

my norton went to crap. what should i get now for a free antivirus? also i guess i would need another firewall..any suggestions? thanks all

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah Norton sucks...don't bother with it. AVG is an excellent free one, I think its pretty much the highest rated and most popular. I've heard good things about Avast too, but me personally I stick with AVG, it gets the job done.

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

for firewall go with ZoneAlarm

4. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

Thats top quality advice. AVG or Avast. I've tried them both and both are good. And ZoneAlarm is ace in my book.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i run adaware se & spybot s&d for spyware, avg7 free edition for viruses, zone alarm free version for firewall & ccleaner to clean the crap out of windows

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah djscoop norton does suck mine got knocked out twice in two months LOL its junk will never have it again i downloaded the free AVG. and it found like 4 virses norton didnt even find as far as a good one to buy Trend Mirco PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 is great

7. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

I had trouble with Norton too,its totally shit and i have a good mind to write to Norton and tell themn how crap their product is. Its so crap that i had to re-install it like ten times because it kept crapping out and eventually it said that i had registered the product too many times and that i had to contact Norton to sort it out, how shit is that. Never bother with their products again.

thats my rant over

8. Balable

Balable Member

Just reformat your computer, update your computer fully, get firefox and you don't have to worry about running a Antivirus or Anti-Spyware program again.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Balable, explain that to mac users & you won't get a virus, that's a load of crap!! i've seen computers infected by viruses that weren't even on the net & i've worked on a computer with xp being attacked from viruses when i was doing updates from microsoft whose site was infected. i hope you don't tell your friends not to worry about spyware & viruses if they switch to firefox because i'll pity them.

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah thats a load of crap. you don't have to reformat your HD just to get rid of a few viruses, unless your computer is severly infected. firefox may offer a few more security features above IE, but just cause you use firefox doesn't mean you won't get viruses. People get viruses through email, mp3s, I know someone who got viruses from purchasing pirated software. So if thats your opinion than great, but don't start giving others wrong information

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

How about a visual on the subject:

If you are reading this now, if you view anything on your monitor, such as your browser viewing pictures and text or if you read any emails in your mail program, then these items are inside your machine right now. Just take a look at any java items lurking in the background of your PC, already loaded and doing their thing.

Firewalls are great when someone is really interested in hacking your PC, and unless your are someone really special or just an a hole that someone wants to take out, most users MUST depend on Virus Protection as their first wall of defense. Windows OS needs the firewalls in your PC.