1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVG Free Edition or Avast Antivirus Professional V4.7.981?

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by TY4ever, Apr 16, 2007.

1. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Hi guys/gals.I would like to know which one of these antivirus softwares you would advise me to use on my pc.I'm running Windows XP Pro,1Gb of ram,connected to ADSL 24/24.Before i had the AVG Professional Mail Server Edition but the license has already expired.So now i'm using AVG Free Edition but it protects the pc only from viruses(as it was described in its official website)and not from trojans or worms,etc.But one thing i like with AVG is that it's very user friendly and doesn't use a lot resources on my pc,so it doesn't slow down my pc's performance.

However one of my friend is advising me to use Avast Antivirus Professional V4.7.981.I know it's not free but it doesn't really matter because the most important thing on my pc is to be protected from any threat at any cost.So i would like to know what do you think about that Avast Antivirus,does it offer better protection than the AVG i'm actually using and if it will take a lot of my pc's resources or not?

Thanks.

Vincent.

2. capnJayd

capnJayd Member

I use AVG, and I like it.
    There are two AVG programs that I use, anti-malware and anti-spyware from this link http://www.grisoft.com/doc/31/us/crp/0
    And to be truly protected, its advised that you use two anti-spyware/malware/virus programs.
    I havent played around with Avast much (mainly because I don't have the monetary resources), but if you really want protection, you can always use them in conjunction with each other.
    But, the best defense is smart browsing. What browser are you using, and where do you seem to get most of your viruses? If you're not already using it, try switching over to Firefox. And stay away from ActiveX anything, unless your on Microsofts website.

3. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Hey!Thanks for the reply.I'm using firefox.Lately when i got some viruses and trojans it was when i was using internet explorer(because that would be the only browser that can have that megaupload toolbar,hence allowing me to download from megaupload).But i prefer using firefox for all my web browsing.

As anti-spyware,i'm using Spybot and Ad Aware Personal Pro and they are quite effective.Using two anti-spywares won't create any conflict between each other but i've never heard people using two Anti-viruses at the same time because of conflicts issue.However,i'm not using any other firewall than my own windows fireall.Do you advise me switching to another firewall,like the comodo personal firewall for example?I do know than windows firewall does not stand a chance to other firewalls but i would like to use a firewall which doesn't use a lot of my system resources.

What i'm looking mostly is an Anti-virus program but also which protects me from trojans,malwares,worms and any other threats.So,what do you advise me?I've heard about AntiVir,is it ok?

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  4. capnJayd

capnJayd Member

I haven't heard of AntiVir, so I'm no help there, sorry.
    I have two firewalls running, just the basic Windows one (it's garbage, but it's just another layer of protection) and my routers firewall. Other than that, I just watch what I do, and run scans of my computer with free scanning software. Someone else will have to field your firewall questions, because I'm not too experienced with them.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

5. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Thanks a lot for that anyway.

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I agree with all the antivirus advice.. Since the release of avg-antispyware it seems to have the edge over avast, but as a standalone antivirus avast seems a little more lean.

Personal preference..

Windows firewall is perfectly adequate behind a router as long as you have a sensible security policy. I don't know how you would go about this with windows, but a good thing to research would be if it is possible to direct all incoming downloads to a folder with no execute privileges.

The one thing that interested me was your use of IE for megaupload toolbar. The main exploits for IE come in the form of toolbars and add on buttons, and it's bad security weaknesses come from using it in a download environment because it allows direct OS access to downloads. Firefox is far more secure.
    A megaupload toolbar... is there really any need for it? A sensible security policy demands that all files from a source like megaupload need to be considered hazardous until proved otherwise, there is no way of checking it isn't a virus or trojan until it is downloaded..
    I don't have IE at all, and there is no trouble using megaupload here with firefox. Most people suggest setting the fox as default browser and disabling IE where possible, especially when downloading from untrusted sources.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2007
  7. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Hey,thanks a lot for coming to the rescue Janrocks.Since last time i got attacked by viruses and trojans,i've reformatted my pc completely,if i can call it like that,in fact i've put a brand new sata hard disk and my os is in it.Since then i did not make that same mistake in adding that megaupload toolbar to internet explorer.I use firefox as my default web browser but however i did not disable IE because my wife cannot go to some chinese websites on firefox(i know that's strange but it's really impossible).It's only with IE that she can open some chinese webpages completely.Now everytime i'm downloading something using firefox,it goes in a folder and as you said it doesn't open the file automatically.

As antivirus,i'm using AVG free edition,as anti-spywares i have spybot and ad aware personal pro and i'm using windows firewall.My router's firewall is on too.Are these ok or what else do you advise me to do to be more protected?

Thanks a lot janrocks.You rock :)

Vincent.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007