1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi audio problems and Nandub 1.0rc2

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by raddish, May 4, 2005.

1. raddish

raddish Member

Recently I have been coming across many xvid avi files that I am having trouble extracting audio from or even hearng the audio from.
    Opeining the avi file in Virtualdub in file info I get the message for the audio unknown tag 0055.
    Of course this is an mp3 file and I have the suitable codecs to play and encode/decode mp3. Running the files through Gspot they confirm that it is an mp3 file and that I have suitable codecs. However, if I hit render in gspot I get a render failure on the audio.
    The interesting part is that if I install ffdshow and allow it to decode mp3 then the render in gspot is successful. However, ffdshow audio is not compatible with virtualdub so I still cannot separate out the audio.
    An interesting thing to not in gspot is that [bold]every single file I have a problem with has been encoded/muxed using nandub 1.0rc2.[/bold]
    This cannot be a coincidence. Every file that has virtualdub in the header or some other software has no problems.
    I tried using nandub to separate out the audio but had no success.
    What is nandub doing to screw these xvid files and what if anything can I do about it?
    My only solution so far has been to use goldwave in combination with ffdshow.

2. raddish

raddish Member

It's been a while . . . . is nobody else seeing this problem?

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well windows comes with an ACM mp3 decoder. You haven't been installing codec packs have you? Because that could screw up the default ACM decompressor.

4. raddish

raddish Member

Yeah - WinXP comes with the Fraunhofer codec of which I have. Virtualdub uses this successfully in 90% of the xvid avis I have. However, in around 10% of the avis I get the unknown codec 0055 message. As I said, this only occurs on nandub 1.0rc2 encoded avis.
    I do have other codecs on my machine - but not many (xvid, lame, lame acm, and selected parts of ffdshow)
    I have tried removing all the additional codecs and still have had no success. I have tried a repair of the windows codecs (e.g. reinstal media player) still no success.
    I might add that I am not the only person seeing this. Recently there have been posts on videohelp.com and also when doing a google search there are many mentions of the unknown tag 0055 in Virtualdub even when the appropriate codecs are instlled.
    I'm very convinced this is a nandub problem but am open to being ocnvinced otherewise.

Any suggestions?

5. billy_bob

billy_bob Member

Just had this problem and since no one posted a solution....

What I did was demux the mp3 with Virtual Dub, used Audacity to export it as a wav file, then used BeSweet to save it as what I needed it as. Sync'd up perfectly.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  6. raddish

raddish Member

Yeah - I'm working my way round the problem using a similar process that seems to work pretty well.
    I demux using vdubmod then convert mp3 to wav using besweet usually downconverting sample rate for use in a vcd.
    I then also use toolame to convert to mp2 and tmpgenc editor to mux together with my converted mpeg.

Still . . . would be nice to know what the probelm is.